Cases against Mumbai’s Ganpati pandals for potholes may be withdrawn
The annual amount spent on preparations by the government to be increased to Rs 9 crore.Updated: Aug 31, 2018 10:16 IST
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday directed civic officials to reconsider applications to set up roadside Ganesh pandals, that were either rejected or cancelled by local authorities, previously. In Mumbai, more than 800 applications have been rejected or cancelled for various reasons so far this year.
Fadnavis has assured that the cases registered against Ganesh mandals for creating potholes and violation of silence zones may also be dropped. A committee has been formed to study and make recommendations. From next year, the mandals also will not have to submit relevant documents while making applications to set up pandals on the road for Ganeshotsav festival.
On Thursday, Fadnavis reviewed preparations for the 10-day Ganeshotsav starting from September 13. Representatives from umbrella organisations of Ganesh mandals were invited for the meeting along with senior officials.
Naresh Dahibavkar, coordinator, Brihanmumbai Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Samanvay Samiti (BSGSS), an umbrella organisation of Ganesh mandals in Mumbai, said, “CM Fadnavis directed the officials to reconsider the applications that were either rejected or cancelled by local authorities —Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and Mumbai Police. He also asked the mandals to re-apply for permissions and extended the deadline for seeking permission from the BMC till September 5. The earlier deadline was September 2.
“With the online system in place, mandals which have got permission this year, won’t need to submit relevant documents from next year while making applications,” said Dahibavkar.
Akhil Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav Mahasangh president Jayendra Salgaonkar, an umbrella organisation for mandals in the state, said that the CM has also directed the BMC to review cases against mandals for creating potholes and not paying the ₹2,000 penalty per pothole. “Chief minister assured us that such cases would be withdrawn,” said Salgaonkar.
Mumbai BJP chief Ashish Shelar, who was also present for the meeting, said the state government will form a sub-committee to look in to the cases and make recommendations based on which a decision will be taken. “Fadnavis has assured us that the BMC’s budget for Ganeshotsav preparations will also be increased by ₹3 crore. Currently, it is ₹6 crore,” said Salgaonkar.
First Published: Aug 31, 2018 01:13 IST