CET re-releases seat allotment list after medical admissions chaos
Those candidates who don’t wish to pay the extra fees as per the newly hiked fees structure under the management quota seats will be allowed to withdraw their admissionmumbai Updated: Apr 27, 2018 10:04 IST
Maharashtra’s Common Entrance Test (CET) cell on Thursday once again released the first seat allotment list to allow students who had sought admissions in the management quota of private medical institutes to change their options.
According to the CET cell, those candidates who have already filled the seat retention form can retain their seat, and those candidates who don’t wish to pay the extra fees as per the newly hiked fees structure under the management quota seats will be allowed to withdraw their admission in order to become eligible for the second seat allotment round.
“The seat allotment list remains the same as the one released two weeks ago, but those students who have already joined under 35% management quota seats and are willing to opt out of the private college due to the revised fee structure now have the opportunity to cancel their admission. There will be no change to the original preference list submitted by candidates,” said Manik Gursal, commissioner, state CET cell. He added that only those selected candidates who could not join the course at the allotted college due to increased fee structure of 35% management quota seats will be considered for betterment in the second round.
More than a month ago, the Fee Regulating Authority (FRA) had sent out a notice to all private medical and dental institutes in the state, asking them to stick to common fees for all their seats, including those under the management and NRI quotas. The institutes had threatened to boycott admissions season if they were not allowed to charge three times and five times the regular fees for management and NRI quotas. After a series of meetings, the FRA had decided to allow private institutes to charge continue charging three and five times the regular fees for both the quotas for the year 2018-19.
However, two weeks ago these institutes sought permission for all their quota seats, which constitutes 50% of the total seats (50% is merit seats), to be charged at five times the regular fees. Earlier this week, the state agreed to let colleges charge four times the regular fees for management quota seats, following which the state CET cell decided to re-do admissions for those students who are not willing to pay the revised fees at private colleges.
“The process had to be redone in order to ensure that admissions go by merit only. No candidate should lose out on a seat they rightfully deserve due to last-minute changes by the institute,” said Dr Pravin Shingare, director of Directorate of Medical Education and Research (DMER). He added that as per the new schedule, students have time till April 29, 5pm, to confirm their admissions in respective institutes.
Rules for the revised first selection list published on April 26:
*Candidates who have already joined the institute and filled the status retention form need not follow the same process again.
*Candidates who have already joined the institute and not filled status retention form will also be eligible for the second round.
*Only those selected candidates who cannot join the course at allotted college due to increased fee structure of 35% management quota seats will be considered for betterment during the second round .
*Candidates who have already joined under 35% management quota seats and are willing to opt out of private college due to revised fee structure can cancel the admission at their respective college and be eligible for the second round.
*Selected candidates should report to the allotted college with original documents and fees between April 27 and April 29, up to 5pm.
*All participating colleges have been directed to keep the admission counters open on Saturday, Sunday as well as all other holidays so as to facilitate the admissions process and avoid any further delays.