Education department to hold special admissions round for FYJC aspirants
A fourth round of admissions to fill up seats will begin from July 18 and conclude on July 20 following which a special round will be held for studentsmumbai Updated: Jul 16, 2016 00:05 IST
Students who missed out on applying online for admissions to first-year junior college (FYJC) need not worry. In the next eight to 10 days, the state’s education department will conduct a special round for all those who left their applications incomplete or failed to register online, said officials.
According to the figures released by the department on Friday, 1.16 lakh students took admission in the three rounds of admission conducted between June 27 and July 15. But officials said that the figures could be higher.
A fourth round of admissions to fill up these seats will begin from July 18 and conclude on July 20 following which a special round will be held for students.
According to education department officials, until last year, offline admissions were held after the online process was through and students who did not bag a seat or those who were unhappy the seats allotted to them directly approached colleges for admissions. But this year, after the Bombay high court directed that the FYJC admissions will only be conducted online, the department has decided to give them another opportunity to apply online to the FYJC course to seats under the general category.
“Applying online for admission to seats under the general quota is the only option for FYJC aspirants. Hence, we decided to hold a special round for those who have not yet applied,” said BB Chavan, deputy director of education, Mumbai region.
Thousands of students thronged the education department over the past three days with complaints regarding online allotments. “Nearly 50,000 seats in colleges have not found any takers in the admission round,” said Chavan.
The department is also considering conducting a counselling round for students who have not confirmed their admissions.
“Around 5,000 students approached us saying that they are unhappy with the seats allotted and hence, did not confirm their admissions. We have conveyed the matter to the state government and are awaiting their reply,” said Rajendra Ahire, assistant deputy director of education, Mumbai region.
First Published: Jul 16, 2016 00:05 IST