Five things we know from the arrest of Dawood Ibrahim’s brother Iqbal
Here are the five things we know about the case.mumbai Updated: Sep 22, 2017 11:02 IST
Iqbal Kaskar, brother of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, was recently arrested in an extortion case by Thane police.
Here are the five things we know about the case:
1) Iqbal Kaskar, 52, was arrested for extorting a builder on Monday (September 18) along with his two aides Mumtaz Ijaz Shaikh, 48, and Israr Ali Jamil Sayyed, 57, who helped him to extort money from businessmen, builders and corporators. Kaskar was having biryani and watching TV when he was arrested. He had taken four flats and Rs30 lakh from the builder.
2) Iqbal has told the Thane police that he received calls from Dawood 3-4 times since he was deported to India in 2003. He has told police he was closer to brother (Anees was in-charge of smuggling gold, silver and narcotics, and is said to be in Karachi with his wife and kids)
3) Kaskar has told the police that Dawood is in Pakistan and has further given four addresses in Karachi, Pakistan, where his brother stays. Another claim made by Iqbal is that he did meet Dawood in Dubai somewhere around 2003, but the police are trying to verify the year. Around 2005, Dawood’s daughter was married to cricketer Javed Miandad’s son in Dubai, but there are conflicting reports on Dawood attending the function
4) Kaskar and his gang used to operate D company on his brother behalf in Mumbai. He used to extort money from builders, corporators, businessman and other high profile people from Thane, Navi Mumbai and Mumbai .
5) Two days after the arrest of Kaskar, a new case was lodged against him by a jewellery shop owner from whom he has extorted Rs15 lakh (50 tolas of gold). More victims are coming ahead informing the Thane police of various crimes, and the police will be verifying each claim.
First Published: Sep 22, 2017 11:02 IST