13/7 blasts: Court extends police custody of two accused
The state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) investigating last year's July 13 blasts in the city on Thursday sought an extension of accused Naquee Ahmed's police custody on the grounds that it suspects he played a bigger role than just stealing the two-wheelers used in the triple explosions.mumbai Updated: Feb 04, 2012 00:03 IST
The state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) investigating last year's July 13 blasts in the city on Thursday sought an extension of accused Naquee Ahmed's police custody on the grounds that it suspects he played a bigger role than just stealing the two-wheelers used in the triple explosions.
The Delhi police had earlier claimed Ahmed was their informer.
The ATS prosecutor told a local court that the three arrested accused - Ahmed, Nadeem Sheikh and Haroon Naik - are Indian Mujahideen (IM) members and the ATS needs to interrogate them face-to-face to learn more about the conspiracy behind the blasts. The court extended Ahmed and Sheikh's police custody until February 10.
"The accused, some of whom are absconding, were in the city for nearly six months after the incident and the ATS wants to investigate if they were planning more blasts," the prosecutor said.
ATS officials said that apart from the two Activa scooters used in the blasts, the accused had stolen two more bikes, which were sent to Darbhanga in Bihar, indicating some future planning.
Officials said their probe involves travelling to Darbhanga, as there is a possibility of more IM members from the region being involved in the blasts.
ATS officials are also looking into the possibility of the accused having stayed in other parts of Mumbai besides Habib building in Byculla, and the squad is trying to verify if the accused had forged more documents for acquiring SIM cards and renting safe houses.
Defence lawyer Sharif Sheikh said there are no genuine grounds for the ATS to seek further custody of Ahmed and Sheikh as the two have been in ATS' custody for more than 25 days.
They were first arrested in the forged SIM card case before being booked in the blasts case, he argued.
First Published: Feb 03, 2012 01:09 IST