2006 Malegaon blasts: Despite bail, one more night in jail
Despite spending nine days in jail after being granted bail, the nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case were likely to spend yet another night behind bars, this time, due to a technical issue.mumbai Updated: Nov 15, 2011 01:13 IST
Despite spending nine days in jail after being granted bail, the nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case were likely to spend yet another night behind bars, this time, due to a technical issue.
Although all formalities, including furnishing of sureties, have been completed by the defence lawyers the release order could not be secured as one of the clerks entrusted with the job of typing release letters was on leave.
Defence advocates Momin Muzib and Jalil Ahmed said all formalities for the release of the accused had been completed and the papers and sureties have been submitted for release. “One of the clerks who types the letter for release did not come today, due to which the release has been delayed,” the advocates said.
The advocates had stated that they would wait for the report from the National Investigating Agency before planning the next legal course of action since, according to them, the NIA is conducting an unbiased investigation, unlike the ATS or the CBI.
The advocates said that the people of Malegaon were happy and were looking forward to the release of the accused who had been charged for the blasts that left 37 people dead.
While granting bail, designated judge YD Shinde had directed all nine accused - Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif Khan, Javed Sheikh, Faroogue Ansari and Abrar Ahmed - to furnish a surety of Rs 50,000 and visit the local police station once a month.
However, Ali and Khan will continue to remain in jail as they are also accused in the 2006 Mumbai serial train blasts case.