Mumbai: BEST does not have enough buses
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) undertaking has decided to discontinue eight of its bus routes, including one AC bus route, citing low passenger turnout.mumbai Updated: Feb 02, 2015 22:24 IST
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) undertaking has decided to discontinue eight of its bus routes, including one AC bus route, citing low passenger turnout. BEST members, however, claim some of the bus routes were actually closed down due to unavailability of sufficient number of buses.
“The BEST wants to scrap 300 buses by 2016 and since it doesn’t have sufficient number of buses to run operations efficiently, they are closing down the bus routes,” said Sunil Ganacharya, BEST committee member.
The AC-503 route from Wadala depot to Kalamboli bus station, and the C-52 plying on the same route were discontinued because the undertaking was having to pay Rs 1,100 per month per bus towards toll tax at Kharghar.
“The management should justify their decision to close down bus routes with statistical reports,” said Kedar Hombalkar, BEST committee member. RR Deshpande, deputy general manager (traffic operations) said, “Insufficient number of buses, toll taxes are some of the factors, but it’s on the basis of the lean passenger turnout that we decide which bus routes have to be closed first. However, a provision is made in this financial year to buy new buses, after which we can reassess the situation.”
* Route 38 from Bandra West to Malad depot
* Route 91 from Mumbai Central to LTT
* Route 414 from Mumbai Central depot to Majhas depot
* Route 483 from Dr Ambedkar Garden, Chembur to Tagore Nagar, Vikhroli
* Route number 520 from Deonar depot to Airoli bus station
* Route 617 from RCF Colony Bhandup East to Khindipada
* AC bus 503 Wadala depot to Kalamboli bus station
* Fast corridor C-52 from Wadala depot to Kalamboli bus station