Rooftop train traveller gets a shock
A 23-year-old man suffered severe burns after he come into contact with an overhead live wire while he was travelling on the rooftop of a Churchgate-bound fast train on Friday morning.mumbai Updated: Oct 02, 2010 01:10 IST
A 23-year-old man suffered severe burns after he come into contact with an overhead live wire while he was travelling on the rooftop of a Churchgate-bound fast train on Friday morning. Officers from the Vasai Government Railway Police (GRP) said the incident took place around 9am at Mira Road station when the victim, Zeeshan Shaikh (23), boarded the rooftop of the train.
Originally from Uttar Pradesh, Shaikh had come to the city only 10 days ago and was residing at Naya Nagar in Mira Road. Since he was working in Mahim, Shaikh had made it a habit to travel on the roof of the train instead of trying to board the overcrowded compartment during rush hours.
“The train was scheduled to leave from Mira Road station at 9.05am. Shaikh, as usual, went to sit on the roof of the train,” said inspector Suresh Chavan, Vasai GRP. “As soon as the train moved, Shaikh came in contact with an overhead live wire and suffered an electric shock. Due to the impact, he fell on the tracks.” The other commuters travelling on the roof immediately jumped down to save their lives.
Shaikh suffered 95% burns and was rushed to Bhagwati Hospital. However, his parents got him discharged and shifted him to Masina Hospital despite the doctor’s advice, said Chavan.
Railway officials say they have been urging people not to travel on rooftops, but such incidents continue to occur. A GRP officer said: “Despite several warnings and announcements people travel on the rooftop increasing the risks to their lives.”
First Published: Oct 02, 2010 01:09 IST