Students’ wait begins
By Monday evening, 2.06 lakh students had submitted forms through the online process for admission for first-year junior college (FYJC) seats. This figure is nearly 40,000 short of the forms submitted last year. Admissions were open till midnight.mumbai Updated: Jul 27, 2010 00:29 IST
By Monday evening, 2.06 lakh students had submitted forms through the online process for admission for first-year junior college (FYJC) seats. This figure is nearly 40,000 short of the forms submitted last year. Admissions were open till midnight.
“The number has fallen as this year as we did not handle admissions for in-house quotas in junior colleges attached to schools and for night junior colleges,” said an Education Department official. “We thought it would be better if schools themselves admitted their students to Class 11.”
Fewer international board students, who had only provisional Class 10 marks, filled forms as the department amended its rule to disallow admissions based on provisional marks. This year, only 65 students from International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) schools submitted forms. The department said it receives at least 500 IGCSE students’ applications every year.
Approximately 2.7 lakh students passed the Class 10 exams in Mumbai. There are approximately 2.5 lakh junior college seats available through the online process. “We have enough seats to accommodate all applicants, so there is no need to ask junior colleges to add sections,” said an official.
Secondary School Certificate (SSC) students comprised 96 per cent of the applicants (1.98 lakh), two per cent (4,446) were Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) students and one per cent (2,116) were Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) students. The remaining were students from other state boards, the National Institute of Open Schooling and international boards.
The admission process for students Allowed To Keep Terms (ATKT) will begin offline from September 1, once the online admissions process is over and depending on the number of vacant seats.
The admission process, which began on July 16, remained largely glitch-free this year. On the first day, ICSE students faced minor problems before they were told they had to reset their forms. On the fifth day, the server stopped working for two hours due to technical reasons.
The admission process began late this year as some parents of ICSE students challenged the government’s Best-Five scheme in court. The scheme exclusively applied to SSC students. After the high court struck down the policy, the government filed an appeal in the Supreme Court, which in an interim order extended the Best-Five scheme to ICSE students.
The admissions process finally began on July 16, nearly a month after the SSC results were declared.
First Published: Jul 27, 2010 00:27 IST