Aziz Ansari jokes about sexual misconduct allegations in Netflix stand-up special: ‘No. That was Hasan Minhaj’
Actor-comedian Aziz Ansari has addressed the sexual misconduct allegations against him in his new stand-up special Aziz Ansari Right Now, saying that his old self has made way for a better person.
The stand-up special, directed by Spike Jonze of Her fame, dropped on Netflix on Tuesday. It starts with Ansari recalling how people often get confused between him and Hasan Minhaj and when they ask him about the sexual misconduct accusation, he deflects by responding, “No, no, no, no, no. That was Hasan.”
The comedian then turned serious as he said that he has been introspecting a lot in the past one year. “It’s a tricky thing for me to answer because I’ve felt so many things in the last year. There’s times I felt scared, there’s times I felt humiliated, there’s times I felt embarrassed, and ultimately, I just felt terrible that this person felt this way. And after a year or so, I just hope it was a step forward. It moved things forward for me, made me think about it a lot, I hope I’ve become a better person,” he said.
Ansari took a break after a controversial article in 2018 accused the comedian of sexual misconduct. In a first person account, a woman claimed she felt pressured to have sex with the comedian during a date.
He responded with an apology and claimed the encounter was completely consensual. The comedian recalled a conversation he had with a friend of his who told him how his story had made him rethink all of his own past dates. “I thought, ‘Wow. Well, that’s pretty incredible. It’s made not just me but other people be more thoughtful, and that’s a good thing’. And that’s how I feel about it,” Ansari said. He admitted that opening about the allegation was not the “most hilarious way to begin a comedy show” but said that it was important for him to let people know “how I feel about that whole thing before we share this night together”.
Towards the end of his act, the comedian once again touched upon the matter.“I saw the world where I don’t ever get to do this again, and it almost felt like I died. In a way, I did. That old Aziz who said, ‘oh treat your self’ or whatever, he’s dead. And I’m glad. ‘Cause that guy was always looking forward to whatever was next. “I don’t think that way anymore. ‘Cause I’ve realized it’s all ephemeral. All that stuff, it can just go away like this. And all we really have is the moment we’re in and the people we’re with,” he said.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rakhi Sawant took to Instagram to share a video of herself doing various household chores. She complained that Bigg Boss made her a 'grihani (housewife)'.
- Kavita Kaushik called out a man for sending her abusive messages on Instagram. As he apologised to her, she exposed the ‘reality of sher dil men of our country’.
- Rahul Vaidya confirms he will marry Disha Parmar soon in an intimate ceremony. He had proposed marriage to her on national TV last year on her birthday.
- Eijaz Khan gave his girlfriend Pavitra Punia a cute shout-out as she reached one million followers on Instagram. See their adorable pictures and video.
- Kapil Sharma had shared a video of his one-year-old daughter Anayra, dancing to a Honey Singh song, on his Instagram Stories.
- Satish Shah chose to wait in line for three hours in the scorching heat to get the Covid-19 vaccine. As he tweeted about not using the VIP entrance, fans flooded the internet with Maya Sarabhai jokes.
- Kishwer Merchant said that her pregnancy was not planned. She is currently expecting her first child with her husband Suyyash Rai.
- Jankee Parekh felt a number of emotions as she left newborn son Sufi at home for some time, while she visited the dentist. See their first photo here.
- An FIR was lodged against Rakhi Sawant, her brother Rakesh Sawant and a person named Raj Khatri. Rakhi's brother has now reacted to it.
- Rubina Dilaik was forced to sell her house after not receiving her salary for a television show, despite repeated reminders to her producers.
- As they plan a small and sweet celebration for their third wedding anniversary on Thursday, Keith Sequeira and Rochelle Rao talk about seeking help from a marriage counsellor.