2019 Pulwama attack: 4 members of European Parliament demand sanctions on Pak

Four MEPs - Thierry Mariani, Julie Lechanteux, Virginie Joron, and France Jamet - in a strongly worded letter to President of European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, have urged to immediately consider sanctions on Pakistan.
Security personnel carry out the rescue and relief works at the site of suicide bomb attack at Lathepora, Awantipora in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, Thursday, February 14, 2019.(PTI File)
Security personnel carry out the rescue and relief works at the site of suicide bomb attack at Lathepora, Awantipora in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, Thursday, February 14, 2019.(PTI File)
Published on Nov 05, 2020 12:20 PM IST
Copy Link
Brussels | ByAsian News International | Posted by Shankhyaneel Sarkar

Brussels [Belgium], November 5 (ANI): Members of the European Parliament (MEP) have condemned the “blatant and brazen” disclosure by a Pakistan minister in its National Assembly about the country’s involvement in the Pulwama terror attacks in India.

Four MEPs - Thierry Mariani, Julie Lechanteux, Virginie Joron, and France Jamet - in a strongly worded letter to President of European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, have urged to immediately consider sanctions on Pakistan and seek an investigation into its involvement in other similar attacks of terrorism in Europe.

“We call on the European Commission and the European External Action Services to immediately condemn the leadership and government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan for its participation in the Pulwama attacks and request the European Union to consider sanctions against those responsible,” the MEPs said in the letter dated November 4.

The dastardly terror attack on a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) convoy in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district on February 14, 2019 claimed the lives of 40 personnel. Terrorists rammed an explosive-laden vehicle in the bus.

Pakistan-based terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) had claimed responsibility for the Pulwama terror attack. Pakistan had repeatedly denied responsibility for the attack.

“However, on 29 October 2020 Pakistan’s Federal Minister for Science and Technology, Fawad Chaudhry, stood up in the Pakistan National Assembly and hailed the Pulwama terror attack as a ‘success ‘under Imran Khan’s government. Chaudhry credited Pakistan’s Prime Minister, Imran Khan and the Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party for its great achievement,” the letter by MEPs said.

The MEPs said that Pakistan, under the control of successive political regimes and leaders, has been well documented as a country of ‘State Sponsored Terrorism’.

“This latest admission from inside the Pakistan parliament, by a serving Minister, comes less than six month after Imran Khan himself gave a eulogy to Osama bin Laden inside the National Assembly calling him a ‘martyr’,” they said.

The MEPs pointed out that at a time when then there is rising public insecurity from a global health pandemic, Europe, and France in particular, now face increasing threats of terrorism.

“In the face of such threats and horrific violent aggression on innocent people, it is essential that the European Union does not remain silent. Any admission of acts of terrorism, wherever they occur in the world, must face immediate denunciation and action by European leaders,” they said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • French President Emmanuel Macron 

    On bid to cut oil prices, what Macron has been told by UAE, Saudi

    Two top OPEC oil producers, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, can barely increase oil production, French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday said he had been told by the UAE's president. Read: France holds parliamentary election in vital test for Macron "And then he said (the) Saudis can increase by 150 (thousands barrels per day). Maybe a little bit more, but they don't have huge capacities before six months' time," Macron said.

  • Police block the scene where a semitrailer with multiple dead bodies was discovered, Monday, June 27, 2022, in San Antonio.

    At least 40 migrants found dead in truck in US city: Report

    At least 40 people have been found dead inside a tractor-trailer in San Antonio, Texas, news agencies reported citing law enforcement official briefed on the matter. San Antonio's KSAT television reported 42 people dead inside the truck, in a presumed migrant smuggling attempt in South Texas. San Antonio police is yet to make an official statement on the incident. Mexican foreign minister Marcelo Ebrard said in a tweet that the victims' nationalities were still unknown.

  • In many European countries, monkeypox cases are rising,

    More than 3,400 monkeypox cases reported to WHO globally: 5 things to know

    The World Health Organization has confirmed over 3,400 reported cases of monkeypox and one related death globally as of last Wednesday, with majority of them from Europe. In an update on Monday, the WHO said that 1,310 new cases were reported to the UN health agency since June 17, with eight new countries reporting monkeypox cases. 5 things to know about monkeypox: Monkeypox is a large DNA virus belonging to the orthopoxvirus family.

  • People watch as smoke bellows after a Russian missile strike hit a crowded shopping mall, in Kremenchuk, Ukraine.

     G7 vows to keep pressure on Russia after missiles strike Ukraine shopping mall

    Russian missiles struck a crowded shopping mall in central Ukraine on Monday, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said, as Moscow fought for control of a key eastern city and Western leaders promised to support Kyiv in the war "as long as it takes". More than 1,000 people were inside when two Russian missiles slammed into the mall in the city of Kremenchuk, southeast of Kyiv, Zelenskiy wrote on Telegram. He said the death count could rise.

  • File photo of former President Donald Trump.

    Company buying Trump's social media app faces subpoenas

    The company planning to buy Donald Trump's new social media business has disclosed a federal grand jury investigation that it says could impede or even prevent its acquisition of the Truth Social app. Shares of Digital World Acquisition Corp. dropped almost 10% Monday as the company revealed that it has received subpoenas from a grand jury in New York. The new probe could make it more difficult for Trump to finance his social media company.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, June 28, 2022