Second Scottish independence vote ‘on the table’: Scotland leader
Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Friday that a second independence vote was “on the table” after Britain voted to leave the European Union.
“The option of a second referendum must be on the table and it is on the table,” she said, adding that legislation for another vote following the one held in 2014 would be prepared when the Scottish Parliament approved it.
Independence was defeated two years ago in a Scottish referendum.
Sturgeon said she would do everything possible to keep Scotland inside the EU.
Britain’s decision to leave the EU represents a substantial, material change in Scotland’s relations and could justify another independence vote, she said.
The Scottish leader also praised British Prime Minister David Cameron, who has said he will resign when a new party leader is chosen before October.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Abbott, a Republican, has faced sustained criticism from his party in America’s biggest red state over the statewide mask mandate.
- The Taronga Conservation Society Australia and the New South Wales State government said they would build the specialist facility at a zoo 391 km from Sydney, by 2022, which could house up to 65 platypuses.
- A 63-year-old nursing home patient with cerebrovascular disease, developed symptoms including high fever, after being given the vaccine four days ago, Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) Director Jeong Eun-kyeong told a briefing.
- Chaiamorn is charged under a strict lese majeste law that carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison if found guilty, as well as arson and trespassing on government property.
- With the current infection rates, the capital area has seen a “small” increase in the number of people “so seriously ill that they are in need of hospital care,” Johan Bratt, the acting health and medical care director for the Stockholm region, said in a statement on Wednesday.
- The global watchdog had in October last year asked Pakistan to deliver on all 27 points by this February. However, Islamabad failed in this regard.
- It was the second rocket attack in Iraq this month and came two days before Pope Francis is due to visit the country.