LeT's Lakhvi planned Mumbai carnage: Malik
Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group had planned the Mumbai carnage, Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik said in Islamabad.world Updated: Feb 13, 2009 09:24 IST
Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror group had planned the Mumbai carnage, Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik said in Islamabad on Thursday.
"The Lashkar-e-Taiba which we have banned planned the attacks. One Zakiur Rehman of the LeT did the planning," Malik said at a press conference in Islamabad to report on the progress in Pakistan's probe into the Nov 26-29, 2008 Mumbai carnage that claimed more than 170 lives, including those of 26 non-Indians, and injured more than 300.
He said six people, including Lakhvi, had been arrested and a first information report registered against them for "abetting, conspiracy and facilitation" of a terrorist act.
According to Malik, one of the suspects, Javed Iqbal of Barcelona, had also been arrested and had provided names of the other suspects.
E-mail addresses had helped track down the ISPs through which the terrorists had networked during the Mumbai attacks, Malik said.
Pakistani investigators had also found leads from abroad, including the use of Austrian phones, payments from Spain and deals made in Italy.
First Published: Feb 13, 2009 09:18 IST