Bhopal: Valsad-Puri Exp catches fire, train driver sustains severe burns
A train driver was seriously injured when the engine of the Valsad-Puri Express caught fire at Bhopal railway station on Friday.bhopal Updated: May 13, 2016 21:02 IST
A train driver was seriously injured when the engine of the Valsad-Puri Express caught fire at Bhopal railway station on Friday.
The Puri-bound train was about to enter the Bhopal railway station when around 8.15 am its electrical engine caught fire near platform number 6 apparently due to short circuit.
Assistant locomotive driver in the engine, Virendra Pratap sustained burn injuries on his back and was immediately rushed to the nearby hospital.
Pratap, a resident of Ratlam, was initially admitted to the Railway Hospital, but later shifted to Chirayu Hospital where he was stated to be stable, said public relation officer of West Central Railways, Bhopal I Siddiqui.
Meanwhile, GRP’s Bhopal town inspector Hemant Srivastava told reporters that during investigation they have found that the overhead wire, which powers the engine, was broken at one point and may have caused short circuit that sparked the fire inside the engine. He said a probe has been ordered into the matter.
The train resumed its onward journey after the engine was replaced and left Bhopal around 10 am.
The incident caused brief panic at the railway station. “I along with the other vendors were present at the railway station when suddenly we heard a minor blast near the engine which was about to enter in the railway station. We ran towards the engine and rushed the injured driver to the nearby hospital along with the police,” said Pritam Kurawar, a vendor said.