A 42-year-old manager with Ola Cabs drowned in the swimming pool at the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Sector 67, SAS Nagar, on Sunday around 7am. Suniel Bagga, of Phase 11 SAS Nagar, had started taking swimming lessons at the pool — run by a Gurgaon-based company — this May, but had ventured into the deep-end (around 8 feet).
The swimming instructor Rajiv Kumar, who also is the manager of the pool, failed to warn him of going into the deep waters unattended.
The family of Bagga has claimed that the six-year-old son of Suniel, Ishit, raised an alarm as soon as he saw his father go into the deep, but Kumar and the other pool staff did not take him seriously. They also claim that the staff though that Bagga was swimming underwater and waited for a minute before jumping in the pool to rescue him, but by then it was too late.
On a statement from the victim’s wife Saroj Bagga, who alleged that his husband died due to the negligence of the pool staff, the police have booked the trainer Kumar and the Devender Lamba, the contracted of company running the pool under Section 304-A (death due to negligence) of the IPC. Kumar and Lamba could not be contacted as they are absconding.
The family has also claimed that the pool did not even have the basic safety equipment for swimmers and that Kumar was not provided CPR. It has also alleged delay in taking Bagga to hospital.
Phase-11 SHO Naveen Lehal said, “Suniel, of Phase 11, used to practice swimming in the shallow area at the NIPER pool. On Sunday, he entered the deep area. His six-year-old son, who was outside the pool, raised an alarm, but staff did not take him seriously. The two people named in the FIR will be heldsoon.”
The minute that proved fatal
Sources said when Bagga failed to emerge from the water for more than a minute, other swimmers dived in an rescued him. The family claims he was not given any medical assistance and was not even given CPR.
Finally, he was taken to Silver Oaks Hospital in Phase-9 where doctors tried to revive him by giving CPR for 15 minutes but failed. Doctors declared him dead at around 8am.