Articles by Somshuvra Laha
The first fallout was Kohli’s decision — made public on Twitter on Saturday evening, but conveyed to his teammates in Cape Town after India’s seven-wicket defeat on Friday.
Updated on Jan 16, 2022 04:41 AM IST
, Kolkata/mumbaiSomshuvra Laha & Rasesh Mandani
- India carried distractions into the South Africa series and then missed a few tricks to pull off their first Test series win in that country, losing 1-2 after taking the lead.
Published on Jan 15, 2022 01:46 PM IST
The captain pulled out an unlikely innings, his slowest ever, to keep one end going as Pant launched into his blistering attack
Published on Jan 13, 2022 10:41 PM IST
In the 10 innings India have batted first before this Test in South Africa, England and New Zealand—where there is considerable lateral movement—they had crossed 300 just thrice.
Published on Jan 11, 2022 10:58 PM IST
- India skipper backs Cheteshwar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane ahead of the Cape Town Test, says "conversations can't be forced around it (transitions)"
Updated on Jan 10, 2022 10:10 PM IST
- Here’s why Thakur and Jadeja have been India’s best bets for that role outside Asia.
Published on Jan 08, 2022 08:25 PM IST
- The bowling group has had a rare day off at Wanderers but batters too need to close out matches.
Published on Jan 08, 2022 09:02 AM IST
When the batters also start putting their bodies on the line, it starts to mess with the bowlers' minds. Dean Elgar did that to India.
Published on Jan 06, 2022 11:27 PM IST
South Africa moved to within 122 runs of a series-levelling win at stumps on Day 3 but India’s bowlers will still fancy their chances on a spicy pitch at The Wanderers
Published on Jan 05, 2022 10:57 PM IST
India seamer captures 7/61 to restrict South Africa’s first innings lead and No 3 batter, under pressure to hold his spot, counter-attacks the Proteas bowlers on Day 2 of the 2nd Test at The Wanderers
Published on Jan 04, 2022 10:50 PM IST
Skipper sits out due to back spasm and stand-in KL Rahul hits 50, but middle-order flops as the visitors are dismissed cheaply. South Africa, looking to comeback after the Centurion defeat, were 35/1 at stumps
Updated on Jan 03, 2022 11:22 PM IST
“If you come on the front foot and the bowler bowls short of a length outside off-stump, there is less chance of getting scoring shots…. He has to develop the back foot shots as well,” says former India opening batman and team manager, Lalchand Rajput
- Coach feels India skipper is going to soon produce a big run of scores as visitors look to clinch a historic series win in South Africa during the second Test at Wanderers
Published on Jan 02, 2022 10:00 PM IST
Rohit Sharma will barely get 11 months before his first big captaincy test—the 2022 T20 World Cup in Australia. And another 11 months on will come the ODI World Cup at home. Sharma is in an unenviable position.
Updated on Jan 01, 2022 05:24 PM IST
- In the 67 Tests captained by Kohli, India has averaged 25.26 runs per wicket, making this the top bowling team any captain has had in the history of the game, better than the Hansie Cronje-led South Africa team, West Indies under Viv Richards and Steve Waugh’s Australia
Published on Jan 01, 2022 09:13 AM IST
- Kohli-led team wins first Test by 113 runs to hand South Africa only their 3rd loss in 27 Tests at Centurion
Published on Dec 31, 2021 12:00 AM IST
- The India pace spearhead took two of the four wickets India claimed to leave South Africa, chasing a difficult 305 to win, reduced to 94/4 at stumps on Day 4 of the Centurion Test.
Published on Dec 29, 2021 11:49 PM IST
Somshuvra Laha, Mumbai
The fast bowler completed 200 Test scalps to help restrict South Africa to 197, a first-innings lead of 130, on Day 3 at the SuperSport Park which saw batters from both sides fail to apply themselves
Updated on Dec 28, 2021 11:44 PM IST
- Despite constant change at the top of the order, the opening department is robust and whoever gets a chance delivers more often than not.
Published on Dec 27, 2021 10:18 PM IST
The visitors reach 272/3 after electing to bat. Rahul was 122* after skipper Kohli, who had elected to bat, fell for 35 in the first Test at an empty Centurion Park
Updated on Dec 26, 2021 11:40 PM IST
- India, chasing their first series win in that country, must ride the challenge of hostile Proteas fast bowlers on a pitch likely to aid pace and bounce
Published on Dec 25, 2021 11:03 PM IST
- India's batting averages away from home since January 2013 have fallen compared to the previous generation
Published on Dec 24, 2021 11:00 PM IST
- Ali Bacher recounts South Africa’s first match at Eden Gardens after readmission, is positive about future despite damning SJN report.
Published on Dec 20, 2021 10:20 PM IST
- Second quickest to 400 Test wickets and most prolific bowler since his debut, Ashwin's record is the stuff of legend but it's also absurd he has played just 81 matches.
Published on Dec 19, 2021 11:32 PM IST
- The Proteas will take on India in the three-Test series starting on December 26 without Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers or Faf du Plessis for the first time
Published on Dec 19, 2021 12:26 AM IST
- Ajaz and Axar have led the re-emergence of left-arm slow bowlers in 2021
Published on Dec 17, 2021 08:50 PM IST
- Kohli wasn’t really challenged during his rapid rise to power. But after his tell-all media conference on Wednesday, the India Test captain has to ready himself for an administrative backlash.
Published on Dec 17, 2021 10:51 AM IST
- Steve Smith was destined to be captain once he was made vice-captain to Pat Cummins before the Ashes. It came to him suddenly on Thursday because of Covid-19.
Published on Dec 17, 2021 08:13 AM IST
- As Indian cricket’s most successful ODI skipper, BCCI should have given Kohli the respect he deserves
Published on Dec 15, 2021 11:57 PM IST
- The former India physio talks about the challenges of long tournaments and tours in bio-bubbles, mental health and cricket, why Ben Stokes took a great decision in skipping the IPL and why coach Dravid's influence on the Indian team may not just be restricted to wins and losses
Published on Dec 13, 2021 08:45 PM IST