Akshay Kumar’s Gold crosses Rs 100 crore mark at box office, but so have 7 other films in 2018
After 13 days of release, Akshay Kumar’s latest film, Gold, has crossed the coveted Rs 100 crore mark at the box office, but trade analysts believe that the film has taken longer than usual, considering especially the huge opening day numbers it registered on Independence Day.
According to Taran Adarsh, the film has become Akshay’s ninth to cross the Rs 100 crore mark. “Business-wise,” he had written on Twitter a few days ago, “one definitely expected bigger numbers, especially after a terrific Day 1.”
Gold made Rs 25 crore on its first day of release, when it clashed at the box office with John Abraham’s Satyameva Jayate, which brought in an impressive Rs 20 crore. Gold suffered a big drop in its second weekend, when it made less than Rs 10 crore on the day after release.
As the table stands, Gold has become 2018’s eighth film to cross this milestone, following Padmaavat, Sony Ki Titu Ki Sweety, Raid, Baaghi 2, Raazi, Race 3 and Sanju. Taran also pointed out that with so many films being able to make Rs 100 crore, the figure ‘is no longer a measure of a film’s success.’
Gold, a sports drama about a fictitious Indian hockey teams first gold medal win at the Olympics in 1948, marks Akshay’s eighth consecutive success. Prior to it, the actor had delivered hits such as Pad Man (Rs 78.22 crore), Toilet Ek Prem Katha, Jolly LLB 2 (Rs 117 crore), Rustom (Rs 127.49 crore), Housefull 3 (Rs 109.14 crore), Airlift (Rs 128.1 crore) and Singh Is Bliing (Rs 89.95 crore).
Akshay was recently named among the world’s highest paid actors by Forbes magazine.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.