Anupam Kher is the new FTII chairman, replaces Gajendra Chauhan
Film actor Anupam Kher was on Wednesday appointed the new chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune, replacing Gajendra Chauhan whose tenure ended in March.
The 62-year-old actor, who has worked in more than 500 films and over 100 plays in the last three decades, was conferred the Padma Shri in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan in 2016.
Some of Kher’s prominent films include Saaransh, Daddy, Lamhe, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Maine Gandhi Ko Nahi Maara, Khosla Ka Ghosla and A Wednesday. He has also been a part of international projects such as Golden Globe nominated Bend It Like Beckham, Ang Lee’s 2007 Golden Lion-winning Lust, Caution, and David O Russell’s 2013 Oscar-winning Silver Linings Playbook. His wife Kirron Kher is an actor and a BJP MP.
In 2015, FTII saw unprecedented protests and a 139-day strike by students opposed to Chauhan’s appointment, saying it was “arbitrary” and “political” as he was a BJP member. On Wednesday, students responded to Kher’s appointment as “another joke” after Chauhan’s stint.
Kher is currently gearing up for the release of his upcoming film, Ranchi Diaries. Author of best-selling book The Best Thing About You Is You, Kher is a teacher, philanthropist and motivational speaker. He also runs an acting school Actor Prepares in Mumbai. Kher has worked in other Indian languages like Tamil, Marathi and Malayalam.
Talking about his vast filmography, Anupam Kher had told HT, “In a span of 35 years, I have done 500 films. When I met Woody Allen, he asked me, ‘I’ve heard you have done a lot of films. What is the number?’ I had done 417 films then. He asked me, ‘In how many lives?’”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal will tie the knot this Sunday, his uncle Anil Dhawan confirmed. Reportedly, the wedding will take place in Alibaug.
- Katrina Kaif on Wednesday posted a video of herself, sweating it out at a Pilates session with her trainer. Watch the video here.
- Priyanka Chopra experienced mixed feelings as she got the first copy of her upcoming memoir, Unfinished. She shared a video on Instagram, documenting her reaction.
- Actor Salman Khan's niece and nephew, Ayat and Ahil, visited the set of his new film, Antim: The Final Truth, and posed for pictures with their father, Aayush Sharma. See the pictures here.
- Twitter has offered reasons behind the restrictions that were made to Kangana Ranaut's account for a brief time.
- Kangana Ranaut went back on an earlier tweet in which she claimed that she isn't interested in seeing anyone's leaked messages or emails when she was questioned about her comments on Deepika Padukone and Rhea Chakraborty's leaked WhatsApp chats.
- Preity Zinta shared a sneak peek from her road trip with husband Gene Goodenough. She posted a loved-up snap of him carrying her in his arms.
- Kangana Ranaut finally reacted to Arnab Goswami's leaked WhatsApp chat, in which he claimed that she is ‘sexually possessed with’ Hrithik Roshan.
- Vikas Khanna revealed that he was asked to pay money in exchange for favourable reviews of his directorial debut, The Last Color. He said that he will never forget it.
- Filmmaker Pooja Bhatt has written a note about feeling the temptation to drink, and how she dealt with it. She has been sober for four years.