Neena Gupta reveals she will never forget when a boyfriend said ‘you are still on the shelf’
Actor Neena Gupta has revealed one of the most horrible things that a boyfriend told her - ‘you are still on the shelf’. Neena has a 31-year-old daughter Masaba, whom she has raised as a single mother. Neena got married to Delhi’s Vivek Mehra in 2008.
During an interview, Neena talked about the mean things people said to her. She said, “A boyfriend of mine.... We were fighting and he said nastily to me ‘you are still on the shelf!’ I will never forget that! It is horrible.Nobody is waiting to be picked up.” She was speaking on a dating web show, Dating These Days.
Neena also said, “I had this couple friend from Delhi who was staying next door in Mumbai. I had this another male friend. But I never felt like ‘that’ towards him, I liked him. They used to tell me ‘marry this man, he is a very nice man’. They were after me ‘he is such a nice man, and a bachelor! He is wealthy and even owns a flat. Just marry him already’. When I said I do not love him or lust him, I was told ‘ just go ahead and marry. Love will also happen’. This is our culture, tradition.”
Asked what her marriage is like, Neena joked, “Compromise!” Neena then listed three of her most favourite things from being married: “Companionship, support and somebody to lean on.”
“Also, I got married very late, I married at 48. What I realised after a few years of marriage is, you don’t depend on him for your happiness. You do your thing. At least, he is not stopping me from doing my thing,” she added.
The actor also shared her mantra for making her marriage a success. “What I do if I am angry with my husband about something - which I am very often - I tell myself, okay but he is very good like this, like this. And my anger goes. This is being sensible and wise. Practical. It is a sign of you being healthy, You need to decide, I want to make this relationship work. Not giving up on people, otherwise it is very easy to give up on people. I realised that very late,” she said.
Neena added, “This wisdom has come very late to me, I have done major mistakes in my life.You know, these kind of stupid mistakes.”
Neena also posted a snippet from the show and wrote on Instagram, “Bohot mazza aaya khudke dating or married life ke baare mein baat karke with my girls! Tum bhi dekho, #DatingTheseDays with @bumble_india Link in bio.”
Neena, along with daughter Masaba, was last seen in Netflix’s original Masaba Mabasa. They both play fictionalised version of themselves in the show based on Masaba’s real life. She will next be seen in Ranveer Singh-Deepika Padukone’s 83, a Kabir Khan film tracing India’s first victory in ICC World Cup in 1983.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has said that she is willing to restart life with the actor after seeing his caring side for the last few days.
- Ahead of the release of Roohi, Janhvi Kapoor talked about why she did not use her mother Sridevi's ChaalBaaz as a reference point, facing criticism from a young age and her upcoming projects.
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.