Panga, Kangana Ranaut’s kabaddi film title announced with emotional Instagram video
Kangana Ranaut’s next film after Manikarnika - The Queen of Jhansi has been officially announced. Kangana will star in Bareilly Ki Barfi director Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari’s Panga, which follows the life of a national-level kabaddi player. Punjabi singer-actor Jassie Gill stars as Kangana’s husband in the upcoming sports film and Neena Gupta plays a special role.
Panga was announced on Tuesday with the makers of the film sharing an emotional Instagram — photo s of Kangana, Jassi, Neena and Ashwini’s families — indicating that when your kin stands behind you, no one in the world can take ‘panga’ with you. See the post bellow, which was captioned, “Presenting #Panga - A story about a family that challenges stereotypes and dares to dream. Starring #KanganaRanaut, @jassie.gill & @neena_gupta. Directed by @ashwinyiyertiwari. In cinemas 2019!”
In Panga, Kangana plays a sportswoman, whose path to success also involves overcoming stereotypes. An excited Kangana told Mumbai Mirror in an interview, “When Ashwiny narrated the film’s story, I was completely moved. My family has been my pillar of strength and have always stood by me through thick and thin. I could really relate to the emotions of the film. Plus, Ashwiny is known for her slice-of-life films and I loved her recent work in Bareilly Ki Barfi. Panga is even more special for me as, for the first time, I will be playing the role of a National-level Kabaddi player. That’s going to be challenging for sure! I am looking forward to some exciting times with Ashwiny and the Fox Star team.”
Jassie, who is playing Kangana’s husband in the film told Mumbai Mirror, “I loved the script, especially the inspiring family angle. The film is a roller-coaster of emotions but to me the real Indian family feeling was the most heart-warming part of the subject. Since I come from a very close-knit family, I could identify with the story.”
“I wanted to keep evolving with stories that talk about relationships in a new-age Indian family. Fox Star Studios is exactly in the same space of storytelling and I am filled with gratitude to work with them to see our vision unfold and create characters and stories that would be relatable to all and still be unique,” Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari said in the interview.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.
- Actor Sonam Kapoor has shared a new image from the Glasgow sets of her upcoming film, Blind. Her dad, Anil Kapoor, left a comment on her post.
- Natasa Stankovic has paid a heartfelt tribute to Hardik Pandya’s father who died on Saturday after suffering a heart attack.
- Disha Patani took to Instagram stories to share a video of herself dancing to rumoured boyfriend Tiger Shroff's new track, Casanova.
- Soni Razdan feels that Rhea Chakraborty has a bright future ahead of her in the film industry. Soni said that her time in jail 'clearly exposed the people who sent her there'.