Pooja Bedi stirs controversy over anti-reservation comments, Twitter reminds her of daughter Alaya’s ‘struggle’
Actor Pooja Bedi stirred controversy after tweeting against reservation on Tuesday. Her comments were met with conflicted reactions, with many pointing out that it was probably her privilege - she is the daughter of actor Kabir Bedi - that prompted her to make the statements in the first place.
Pooja had written in a tweet, “Dear @priyankagandhi I think its VERY positive that @BJP4India wants 2 end the quota & reservation systems! if we believe in ONE india & merit & an end to divisive politics.... this is definitely a step in right direction. This reservation system cannot be a FOREVER entitlement.” She was reacting to a statement made by the Congress’ Priyanka Gandhi.
One person, reacting to Pooja’s tweet, wrote, “Pooja, Why don’t you work for abolition of caste? That’s definitely ONE India. Fight for those who die cleaning the shit from gutters. That’s ONE India. And lovely how you flippantly discard centuries of atrocities committed by upper castes on those lower down the ladder.” Responding to this, the actor wrote back, “We have graduates sweeping floors because someone with way lesser marks got their job based on quota. Yes, Atrocities were inflicted in past. But That’s no reason 2 punish the good & deserving youth of today. Reward merit & INDIA will flourish! Caste system is a misused vote bank.”
Also Watch | Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Alaya F attend special screening of Jawaani Jaaneman
Another person, responding to Pooja’s original tweet, commented, “Like your sheer hardwork and no entitlement or fame you received as a result of your parents? Or like how your daughter has struggled along with all those struggling actors in Mumbai and poor girl is trying to get a role?”
The person was making a reference to Pooja’s daughter, Alaya F, who recently made her debut in the film industry with the film Jawaani Jaaneman, and fielded a barrage of questions about nepotism in Bollywood. “We need to realise that even in our struggle, we are privileged. If we got rejected in 10 auditions, someone else has got the thumbs down 100 times. Their struggle is greater than ours. But just because I’m privileged, doesn’t mean that I’m not going to do what I love and work hard at it,” Alaya had told Mumbai Mirror.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut once claimed credit for some iconic scenes in Queen, and said that she did not expect much from the film.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan's friend has shared a picture with the star kid from their family home, Pataudi Palace. See it here.
- Actor Ankita Lokhande has defended Mahhi Vij and Jay Bhanushali against allegations that they abandoned their foster children.
- Karan Johar took to Instagram and shared a video of his children Roohi and Yash role-playing as a mother-son duo.
- Shraddha Kapoor and Ranveer Singh were spotted at the birthday bash of her rumoured boyfriend, celebrity photographer Rohan Shrestha. See pictures here.
- Kangana Ranaut has said that she did Queen 'for money' and never thought it would even be released. The film celebrates its seventh anniversary on Sunday.
- Pictures of Shah Rukh Khan at his parents' grave site in New Delhi showed the actor paying his respects. Shah Rukh's parents died when he was very young.
- Pooja Bhatt has revealed the advice her father Mahesh Bhatt gave her before shooting a romantic scene with Sanjay Dutt in Sadak.
- Sonam Kapoor, who lives in London, shared a throwback picture from their childhood to wish Janhvi Kapoor on her birthday. See here.
- An unseen picture of Saif Ali Khan with his son Ibrahim Ali Khan from latter's birthday bash has surfaced online. See it here.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.