Rajpal Yadav on his jail sentence: People misused my trust
Actor Rajpal Yadav, who came out of prison late February after serving a sentence in a case of non-repayment of a loan, says he is healed, happy and excited to go back to a film set and start shooting all over again.
“I will soon start the shooting of the film Time To Dance (alongside Sooraj Pancholi and Isabelle Kaif). We shot the film abroad. A small part of it remains. We will finish that. It could have been finished before, but I am really thankful to the producers and directors who waited for me to come back.
“That apart, I am also wrapping up Jaako Raakhe Saaiyan. I am also in talks to work with David Dhawan and Priyadarshan. I can’t wait to go back on a film set now,” Rajpal told IANS here.
In November 2018, the Delhi High Court sentenced him to three months in prison for non-repayment of a loan of Rs 5 crore that his company took to produce a film in 2010.
“I think the law is equal for everyone and no one is immune from the law of the nation, the legal system. So I followed the court’s decision as a law abiding citizen,” Rajpal said.
“I think I trusted a few people who later misused my trust. But I do not want to comment much on that. I want to move forward as I know life has a lot to offer,” he added.
He was lodged at the Tihar Jail, and there was news that he had also performed during a cultural programme held for the prison inmates.
“There was a lot of discipline that we all had to follow. But I always tried to engage my mind with something or the other. I used to interact with the fellow prisoners during recreation activity; I used to conduct an interactive session that we named ‘Rajpal Ki Paathshala’.
“I gave a motivational speeches. Did exercise in the morning. We had access to the library and I used to sit there and read.”
The actor is known for playing some interesting characters in films like Kal Ho Naa Ho, Waqt: The Race Against Time, Bhool Bhulaiyaa, Partner, Bhagam Bhag and Judwaa 2 among several others. He has shared screen space with actors including Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, Govinda and Varun Dhawan.
Rajpal has worked in independent and small budget films for many years while balancing roles in commercial potboilers. What does he think of the evolution in Hindi cinema?
“I think this is the time we have waited for ‘especially when we started making small budget content-driven films where the story was the hero. Earlier those films use to be called -- one of’, now these films are mainstream alongside big budget masala films.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Amitabh Bachchan took to social media wish all on International Women's Day. He also said everyday was Women's Day, in his eyes.
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.
- On International Women's Day, Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter to share pictures with the favourite women in her life. She also said how everyday was 'Women's Day'.
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.