Ranvir Shorey on people’s anger about Sushant Singh Rajput’s death: ‘People will rave and rant till they feel they have answers’
Ranvir Shorey has opened up about the public’s anger surrounding the Sushant Singh Rajput death case, and said that people should wait until the investigating agencies come up with concrete answers. The two had shared screen space as dacoits in Abhishek Chaubey’s 2019 film, Sonchiriya.
Remembering his late co-star, Ranvir told Hindustan Times in an interview, “I will always remember him as a fellow science buff, a hard-working and talented bright young man who was very successful... He had everything it takes to be a huge star, he was already a big star but he had everything that it takes to be a bigger star. It’s just so tragic that he left so early the way he did.”
Watch: Ranvir Shorey remembers Sushant Singh Rajput, slams social media reporting
Ranvir said that he is aware of the fans’ anger, especially on social media. “I think the only way that anger will subside is if the agencies which are investigating the circumstances around his death come up with some answers. Till that happens, people should stay quiet and give it a little dignity. But I don’t think that will happen in the age of social media, people will just rave and rant till they feel they have answers.”
The actor further expressed his views on toxic behaviour on social media. “People don’t have anything to do in lockdown. They just sit in dark rooms and vent. Also, social media offers them anonymity with no accountability and no consequences. You can say whatever to whoever you want and get away with it. Social media should not be seen as a reflection of the real world.”
Ranvir also questioned the reporting of the Sushant Singh Rajput case by the media. “Media is making this huge mistake of taking social media hashtags as topics for news, that’s a terrible practice. That’s creating a vicious cycle of toxicity. Hashtags can be bought and manipulated.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Chaitanya Tamhane's The Disciple, which opened to critical acclaim at the Venice and Toronto film festivals, has been nominated in the Best International Film category at the 36th annual Independent Spirit Awards. Adarsh Gourav has been nominated for Best Male Lead, for The White Tiger.
- Amitabh Bachchan showed off his new Covid-19 mask on social media, and his grandchildren -- Navya and Agastya Nanda -- couldn't get enough of it.
- Producer Boney Kapoor and his Maidaan director, Amit Sharma, are miffed about RRR potentially clashing with their film at the box office.
- Hrithik Roshan has shared a rare picture with ex-brother-in-law Zayed Khan, who accompanied him on a hike. See the picture here.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut, in an incendiary video, has called for everybody who supported the 'so-called' farmers' protests to be jailed.
- "The whole world is laughing at us today," Kangana Ranaut wrote in a new tweet, targeting Diljit Dosanjh and Priyanka Chopra.