When Shah Rukh Khan joked he was ‘forced into’ marriage with Gauri Khan, called Maneka Gandhi for help
Shah Rukh Khan has a mischievous sense of humour and does not spare his wife of nearly three decades, Gauri Khan, from his jokes either. During a joint appearance on Rendezvous With Simi Garewal in 1997, he joked that she made his life “miserable” by relentlessly pursuing him and he was “forced into” marrying her.
When host Simi Garewal asked how their love story began, Gauri said that they met for the first time at a party and soon became friends. Shah Rukh jokingly interrupted, “She had the hots for me. She was running after me. She kept calling me up and really made my life miserable. Then, I had to finally give in.”
Simi laughed and asked Shah Rukh how he gave in, to which he quipped, “She has a really large family. Like, 15 people. They pinned me down and said, ‘Marry her.’ I said, ‘Okay, I’ll marry her. Please don’t beat me up.’ They have a big family and I was all alone, so I had to give in and marry her.”
“I was forced into this marriage. It’s like child abuse. I am going to report this to the social activists,” he added, sending Gauri and Simi into splits. With a cheeky grin on his face, he insisted, “No, really. I even called up Maneka Gandhi (then Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment). I have been calling everybody, but nobody is helping me.”
Shah Rukh then joked that he was no longer alone and now that there was another Khan in the picture (his son Aryan was born just two weeks before the episode was shot), they would get their “revenge” from Gauri.
Shah Rukh and Gauri got married on October 25, 1991, in a traditional Hindu ceremony. He borrowed a suit from the sets of Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman for the wedding. The couple has three children - Aryan, Suhana and AbRam.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.