Sign in

3 civic bodies told to submit new deadlines for bio-mining of Delhi's landfills

The three municipal corporations have been asked to submit revised deadlines and action plan for the completion of bio-mining at the three major landfills at Okhla, Bhalswa and Ghazipur, a senior official overseeing the project said on Wednesday

Updated on: Oct 14, 2021, 04:15:12 IST
By , Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

The three municipal corporations have been asked to submit revised deadlines and action plan for the completion of bio-mining at the three major landfills at Okhla, Bhalswa and Ghazipur, a senior official overseeing the project said on Wednesday.

New Delhi, India - Sept. 5, 2017: Trucks dumping garbage at Ghazipur Landfill site in New Delhi, India, on Tuesday, September 5, 2017. (Photo by Ravi Choudhary/ Hindustan Times) (Ravi Choudhary/HT PHOTO)
New Delhi, India - Sept. 5, 2017: Trucks dumping garbage at Ghazipur Landfill site in New Delhi, India, on Tuesday, September 5, 2017. (Photo by Ravi Choudhary/ Hindustan Times) (Ravi Choudhary/HT PHOTO)

In a recent review meeting of the state-level committee overseeing the project, chaired by the chief secretary, it was pointed out that the project progress was “very slow” and “incremental”.

The data from the three civic bodies shows that almost two years after the project was started, on the orders of National Green Tribunal (NGT), only around 11% of the total legacy waste at the three sites has been excavated and treated. According to the old set of deadlines submitted to the NGT, Bhalswa landfill is to be cleared by June 2022, Okhla landfill by March 2023 and Ghazipur landfill by December 2023.

Before the start of the project in July 2019, the three landfill sites cumulatively had 280 lakh tonnes of legacy waste. The bio-mining process is currently suspended on account of the monsoon. The data from three corporations shows that a total of 3.46 million tonnes of legacy waste had been bio-mined till July when the monsoon arrived.

The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) has managed to bio-mine 770,000 tonnes of legacy waste at the Ghazipur site which holds 14 million tonnes of waste. EDMC mayor Shyam Sunder Aggarwal said the record-setting monsoon rain has caused the project progress to slow down. “We are changing our approach to hasten the process. Now, we will introduce bigger trommel machines. A company is being appointed to take responsibility of 50 lakh [5 million] tonnes of waste,” he said.

Data submitted by North MCD shows that 1.8 million tonnes of waste was bio-mined from Bhalswa landfill, nearly 22% of the total legacy waste at the site.

Similarly, South MCD has bio-mined 630,000 tonnes of legacy waste from Okhla landfill.

  • Paras Singh
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Paras Singh

    Paras Singh is a New Delhi-based journalist with Hindustan Times, where he serves as Deputy Metro Editor. He reports on urban governance, the Delhi government, the Delhi BJP, water management, the environment, communities and city life. He joined Hindustan Times in 2021 after beginning his journalism career at The Times of India in 2016, where he covered civic bodies, the water and power sectors, and urban infrastructure. Over the last decade, some of his reporting has led to significant public impact, with investigations into environmental violations, corruption and illegal industrial activity contributing to multiple judicial interventions by the National Green Tribunal and the Delhi High Court. A graduate of St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi, Paras studied journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi. Having extensively covered the capital's evolving civic and governance landscape, his recent work increasingly explores Delhi's history, built heritage, urban evolution and the relationship between people and place, alongside continuing to report on governance and public policy.Read More