Yuvraj Singh cherishes ‘beating’ Usain Bolt when cricket met athletics in India
Yuvraj Singh has paid a rich but cheeky tribute to the world’s fastest man, Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, who brought an end to his glorious 100m career with a bronze medal at the ongoing IAAF World Championships of Athletics in London. (INDIA vs SRI LANKA LIVE)
Usain Bolt, who has won as many as eight Olympic medals and 11 golds in world championships, won bronze behind gold medallist Justin Gatlin and Christian Coleman of the US on Saturday night (2:30 AM Sunday morning in India).
Tributes are flowing in from all over the world for Bolt, and after Virat Kohli, it was India’s star all-rounder Yuvraj Singh, who once had the opportunity of competing in a 100-meter race with the Jamaican sprinter and even play cricket.
On Wednesday, Indian captain Virat Kohli had posted a video on Twitter congratulating Usain Bolt.
In an Instagram post with a short video, Yuvraj Singh paid tribute to Bolt saying that his ‘legacy will forever be unmatched’.
During a promotional event for a sports manufacturing brand in Bengaluru in 2014, Bolt’s team had defeated Yuvraj Singh’s side in a four-overs-per-side match, whereas the Indian superstar had ‘pipped’ the world’s fastest man in an exhibition race. Each team had seven players.
Bolt slammed a 19-ball 45 as his team chased down a target of 59. Bolt hammered five sixes, including three off Yuvraj.
Following the cricket match, both Bolt and Yuvraj took part in a 100-meter race in which the Indian cricketer came first, but not before pushing the Jamaican sprinter behind jokingly.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sundar and Thakur’s knocks were lauded by the entire cricketing fraternity with former Australia all-rounder Tom Moody highly impressed with their rearguard.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur danced down the wicket to Nathan Lyon and dispatched the off-spinner over the ropes.
- India vs Australia: Stronger teams have toured Australia, few as brave as this bunch.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.