Uttarakhand turns into favourite destination for cine celebrities
Uttarakhand is fast becoming a captivating destination for celebrities and affluent people to enjoy a beautiful mountain retreat and stay away from the hustle-bustle of city life.
Latest to join the list is actor Deepika Padukone. The Bollywood stunner arrived in the hill state on late Saturday on a break with her friends.
After landing at Jollygrant airport, around 25 km from here, she headed straight to a spa resort around 20 km up in the mountains near Rishikesh.
Over the past few months, a number of celebrities from Bollywood and cricket world have given their oft-preferred global destinations a miss, choosing the state’s quiet hill towns for a quick Himalayan escapade.
Some of them were Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan with actor-politician wife Jaya Bachchan, actor Anushka Sharma with her cricketer-beau Virat Kohli, fashion designer Manish Malhotra, actor Arshad Warsi and filmmaker Kabir Khan.
Business magnate Anil Ambani along with his wife Tina also enjoyed a vacation in Uttarakhand recently.
In a series of tweets, Amitabh Bachchan, who rang in the New Year in Uttarakhand, had described how he loved the mountain air. “After visuals of the sun and the Himalays…near divinity never before or after,” he tweeted. Sample another one: “The sun, the cold, the clear sky, the quiet of rushing breeze..it’s like a cleansing lotion..body needs it..so i give it!!.”
With more and more celebrities spending time amid the serene Himalayas in Uttarakhand, experts feel that the state government could play up the celebrity visits to promote tourism.
“It will not only help promote tourism in our state but will also give a boost to employment to local youths who depend on tourism for their livelihood,” retired bureaucrat SS Pangtey, who is considered an authority on Uttarakhand tourism, told HT.
He also underlined the importance of promoting film shooting destinations of the hill state for an “even wider” impact. “It will give an even bigger push to tourism,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Akhil Bharatiya Akhada Parishad has termed the restrictions as 'stern measures'.
- Uttarakhand government has been seeking Green Bonus as compensation for the conservation of its forests by not expanding the industrial development.
- Indira Hridayesh, Uttarakhand leader of opposition, rubbished the rumours and said that she is in a very important position in Congress.
- The boy's link with the online platform came to light after police officials went through his mobile phone on Wednesday.
- The initiative, Bhuli (sister in Garhwali language) Kanyadan, is the brainchild of Devprayag station house officer.
- Three control rooms will also be made at three UP’s three districts of Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor and Saharanpur bordering Uttarakhand for effective sharing of information and intelligence.
- The HC found that the civil judge had separated the criminal case in his court filed against the accused without there being any valid reason.
- The demand comes months after the Centre decided to discontinue the Centre for Glaciology project in Uttarakhand.
- Among the six bodies, five were found on Saturday late night while one was found on Sunday morning.
- The men belonged to Ratanpura village under Bazpur police station and were on their way to Garjiya temple of Ramnagar in Nainital.