Caught in a spot: Satya Niketan witness to crimes
It could be a chain of shocking coincidences or a jinx but this spot in Satya Niketan has, in the last six years, been witness to many major crimes.
Two abduction-cum-rape cases, one major bank robbery, a string of molestation cases and now, a murder — this spot has seen it all.
The 500-meter stretch from Moti Bagh Gurudwara to Satya Niketan has been a crime hot spot over the years.
Satya Niketan first came into the limelight for all the wrong reasons, when a woman from the Northeast was abducted and raped in 2005.
The incident happened right under the pedestrian bridge near Benito Juarez Marg.
That is not all. In 2008, when there was a sudden spurt in bank robberies, most of them allegedly masterminded by a gangster named Satender alias Satte, a security agency's van was stopped and robbed of R15 lakh. The incident took place at the same spot.
However, senior police officers refuse to believe that this place is jinxed. "This is not the case. A few major cases may have happened in the area but that does not mean that the spot is crime prone," said a senior police officer on the condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
Last year, too, it was from the same spot that a 29-year-old BPO employee was abducted and raped, allegedly by a group of Mewati criminals.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As part of their investigation, police have till date arrested 1,753 persons, which includes 820 Hindus and 933 Muslims.
- The accused man, 30-year-old Sujeet Kumar, remains hospitalised and the police are waiting for him to recover before they pursue “suitable action” against him.
- A bench of justice Vipin Sanghi and justice Rekha Palli also asked the members of the striking union to not put under siege the municipal corporation or throw garbage on the streets.
- Manish Sisodia also interacted with students enrolled in the course to know their experiences.
- Jai Prakash, north Delhi mayor, said that all efforts of the municipal agencies this winter were focused to control local pollution sources.
- No Delhi police officer commented on the incident on record, but senior police officers aware of the development said on condition of anonymity that the two men who were on the target, are lodged in Tihar for their role in the northeast Delhi violence.
- Like several other curious onlookers, the boy too was watching the earthmover in action when the mishap took place, the police said.
- Considering the possibility of quitting this occupation, he observes that “one of the good things of being an auto driver is that all your income is made in hard cash.
- The last, which has a weight of almost one-third in the rankings, is a completely subjective parameter.
- The Bihari Puraskar is one of the three literary awards instituted by the KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It also asked the Centre why it was donating or selling Covid-19 vaccines to foreign countries at a time when the drive to inoculate Indian citizens was not optimised.