Nithari case: Pandher walks out of jail after 7 yrs
After spending seven years in prison, Nithari murder co-accused and Noida businessman Moninder Singh Pandher walked out of the Dasna jail in Ghaziabad on Saturday evening.
His release came after the Allahabad High Court granted him bail on August 4 in five of the pending cases against him in the infamous Nithari killings. He still have to face trial for the remaining five scases against him at the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court in Ghaziabad.
Pandher, who lost around 20 kgs since he was arrested on December 29, 2006, stepped out along with several other inmates around 7.40pm from the Dasna jail complex. As he walked out, his son, lawyer and other relatives were waiting for him outside the main entrance.
Speaking to HT, Pandher said if his health will allow, he will visit the Golden Temple at Amritsar and another gurudwara, near Ambala.
“There have been a lot of health complications like glaucoma and diabetes that aggravated over the years. I will undergo a check-up and spend some time with family,” Pandher, who was wearing a white kurta-pajama, told HT.
“The inmates and jail officials have been very helpful and I am thankful to them,” he said.
His son Karan told HT that they would take him to Chandigarh.
Even though he was granted bail and his son arranged for sureties amounting to a total of Rs 50 lakh, legal issues delayed his release. There were some typing errors in two of the five release orders that were sent back by jail officials. These were later corrected and the rectified orders were finally sent on Saturday evening for his release.
After the then Uttar Pradesh government handed over the probe in the horrific killings to the CBI, the agency had registered 19 cases and later filed 16 chargesheets against Pandher’s domestic help and prime accused Surinder Koli.
While Koli was chargesheeted for rape, murder and abduction, Pandher was charged in a single case under the Immoral Trafficking Act. In one of the six cases decided by the Ghaziabad court in February 2009 both Pandher and Koli were awarded death penalty. Following an appeal, the High Court acquitted Pandher of all charges while upholding Koli’s punishment.
Vinai Kumar Saxena, who took oath as Delhi's 22nd Lieutenant Governor on Thursday, said he would work as a local guardian and citizens would see him more on the roads than inside the governor's house. Saxena, 64, was sworn in as the new LG of the national capital at a simple ceremony at Raj Niwas by the chief justice of Delhi high court, Vipin Sanghi.
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has directed all sports facilities under his government to remain open for sportspersons till 10pm. The Aam Aadmi Party said on its official Twitter handle that the decision will allow athletes and players to practice till night. The order came after a report by The Indian Express which claimed the athletes and coaches were being forced to wrap the training at Delhi government-run Thyagraj Stadium earlier than the usual time.
Uttar Pradesh finance minister Suresh Khanna on Friday presented the first budget of the Yogi Adityanath government in its second term in the Legislative Assembly. Read here for live updates of the Budget The FM proposed a provision of ₹523.34 crore for the implementation of the scheme in Lucknow, Gautam Budh Nagar, Agra, Varanasi, Gorakhpur and Prayagraj for the safety of women under the Safe City scheme.
The Central Bureau of Investigation is conducting raids at residences of former Jharkhand sports minister Bandhu Tirkey in connection with financial irregularities in conducting the 34th National Games in 2011, people aware of the development said. Tirkey, who joined the Congress in 2020 and was appointed as working president of Jharkhand Congress last year, is in national capital Delhi for party meetings, an aide in his office said.
The Enforcement Directorate on Thursday conducted searches at about seven places in Mumbai, Pune and Ratnagiri district's Dapoli linked to a close confidant of chief minister Uddhav Thackeray, Maharashtra transport minister Anil Parab. Parab was under ED scanner ever since dismissed Mumbai police officer Sachin Vaze, the prime accused in Antilia explosives scare and Mansukh Hiran murder case, alleged that Anil Parab was among the recipients of bribes.