UP Board class 10 exams cancelled, class 12 proposed in second week of July
The Uttar Pradesh Madhyamik Shiksha Parishad has decided to cancel the UP Board high school (class 10) examinations in the wake of the Covid-19 situation in the state. The intermediate (class 12) exams are now proposed in the second week of July provided the pandemic situation eases.
Announcing the decision, deputy chief minister Dinesh Sharma on Saturday said, “The duration of the intermediate class 12 exams to be reduced from three hours to 90 minutes. Students will have to answer three questions only instead of 10. These decisions have been taken in the larger interest of the students.”
Following the cancellation of the UP Board high school exams, nearly 30 lakh (three million) candidates who had registered for the exam would be promoted to class 11.
The officials were now working out a formula on the basis of which the academic performance of these students would be assessed and they would be awarded marks accordingly, said Sharma who is also the secondary education minister.
“The intermediate exams may be conducted in the second week of July provided the prevailing pandemic situation eases to pave the way for the safe conduct of the exam,” he said.
Nearly 26 lakh (2.6 million) candidates are registered for the class 12 examinations.
Sharma further said that just like high school examinees, the students of class 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 enrolled in schools affiliated to different boards in UP would be promoted to the next level without examination.
"Those schools found flouting these guidelines would be strictly dealt with," he added.
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination had earlier announced their decision not to hold class 10 examinations. The UP board had already reduced syllabus by 30% following outbreak of pandemic in 2020.
The announcement about cancellation of the UP Board class 10 exam comes after a high-level meeting chaired by defence minister Rajnath Singh and Union education minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank on May 23. Education ministers and secretaries from all states had attended the meeting.
Nearly 56 lakh (5.6 million) students were registered to appear in the UP Board high school and inter exams, which were deferred on April 15 following a surge in Covid cases across the state.
This year, 29,94,312 examinees, including 16,74,022 boys and 13,20,290 girls, were registered for the UP Board high school examination. Similarly, 26,09,501 examinees, including 14,73,771 boys and 11,35,730 girls, were registered for the intermediate exam.
Last year, the UP Board exams began on February 18 and concluded in the first week of March before the lockdown.