New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 14, 2019-Monday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Monday, Oct 14, 2019

GATE 2017 registration deadline extended

Last date to apply for the online test is now October 10; changes expected in 2017

education Updated: Oct 06, 2016 17:36 IST
Gauri Kohli
Gauri Kohli
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
In 2016, more than 9.50 lakh candidates applied for the test.
In 2016, more than 9.50 lakh candidates applied for the test.(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

The last date for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2017 applications has been extended to October 10, 2016 (11am). Conducted by the Indian Institute of Science and the Indian Institutes of Technology, GATE scores are used for admission to MTech/PhD programmes in IITs, IISc and various other institutes. GATE is conducted in 23 disciplines of engineering and science subjects and identifies the candidate’s understanding of a subject and aptitude and eligibility for higher studies. GATE scores are also used as a criterion for recruitment in government organisations such as Cabinet Secretariat, and national and state public sector undertakings in India. In 2016, more than 9.50 lakh candidates applied for the test. The computer-based test comprises multiple choice questions. GATE 2017 will also be open for candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and the United Arab Emirates. Many GATE qualified candidates are paid scholarships/assistantship, especially funded by the ministry of human resources development and by other ministries. The GATE score of all qualified candidates is valid for three years.

Some changes have been introduced in GATE 2017. The engineering science paper will have a new section on atmospheric and oceanic sciences. With this, the number of sections in the paper has increased to eight. The test will be conducted on February 4, 5, 11 and 12, 2017 (tentative) in two sessions. There will be no restriction on second choice examination city to be in the same zone as first choice city. It can be anywhere in India. GATE is primarily meant for candidates who have completed their bachelor’s degree or are studying in the final year (except in some five-year integrated courses and Associate Member of Institution of Engineers). The entire process of filling application forms, uploading certificates/documents etc., will be online. Candidates need not send any hard copy of their application form or documents to any of the IITs/IISc or zonal GATE offices. The organising institute for GATE 2017 is IIT Roorkee.

If a candidate is to be selected through test/interview for postgraduate programmes, a minimum of 70% weightage will be given to the performance in GATE and the remaining 30% to the candidate’s performance in test/interview and/or academic record, as per MHRD guidelines. The admitting institutes could, however, prescribe a minimum passing percentage of marks in the test/interview. Some institutes specify GATE qualification as the mandatory requirement even for admission without MHRD scholarship/assistantship.

Follow these steps to register:

1) Visit the officialwebsite.

2) Click on ‘Apply online for GATE2017’

3) Enter required details such as enrollment ID/email address and password to sign in or sign up as a new user.

4) After submitting the details, the registration process will be complete. Keep a screen shot or hard copy for reference.

Read more: Expect tricky questions in this year’s GATE

First Published: Oct 06, 2016 17:36 IST

top news