‘IIM diploma is a ticket for a good job’
The aspiring managers were advised to shape their career and not think too much about salaries.education Updated: Mar 21, 2017 16:11 IST
Pay packets are not the only criterion to measure your success. An extra Rs 10 lakh will not make a difference in life.
These were the lessons learnt by students graduating from the Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIM-L) at the 31st annual convocation ceremony, where as many as 590 students were awarded diplomas, on Monday.
The aspiring managers were advised to shape their career and not think too much about salaries.
“Know your weaknesses and play to your strengths. Be fearless. The PG diploma, in your hand, is a ticket for a good job. Until the age of 40, you don’t have to fear and take a risk,” Deep Kalra, CEO of MakemyTrip.com, said in his address.
- IIM-L CONVOCATION
- 590 students of IIM-L received diplomas.
- 405 students were from the 31st batch of PGP in management
- 18 students from the 12th batch of PGP in Agri-business Management,
- 05 students from Fellow Programme in Management (FPM)
- 80 students from 10th batch of PGP in Management for Working Executives (WMP)
- 63 students from 9th batch of International Programme in Management for Executives (IPMX) batches
- 19 students from the first batch of Post Graduate Programme in Sustainable Management (PGPSM), from the Noida campus, received diplomas.
“Alongside success, there will be occasions when you meet failure. Never fret and stay calm. Only cool-headed people can fight out severe crisis situations,” Kalra, who graduated from IIM-Ahmedabad, said.
He said humility is a virtue that would help young managers scale new heights.
The IIM-L has been nurturing talent since 1984 and with the outgoing batch of 2017, the institute will expand its network of about 5000+ alumni who have been serving the community through their contributions in various domains.
Dr Ajit Prasad, IIM-L’s director, highlighted the accomplishments of the institute in the academic year 2016-2017. He mentioned that the Institute and the World Bank Group have signed an MoU to offer training programmes on the World Bank’s procurement framework. Under this, IIM-L will offer international training programmes twice a year.
- List of medal winners
- (PGP in management and agri-business management)
- Raghav Arora bagged Chairman’s Gold Medal
- Arzoo Jain won Director’s Medal
- Himanshu Arora received PGP Chairman’s Medal
- Chitra Kashyap received Reshma Sareen Memorial Medal for Best Girl Student
- Chitra Kashyap got Bizkool Medal for the Best Student in Information Technology
- Aditya Pratap Singh won Hari Shankar Singhania Medal for Best All Rounder
- Sonali Singh Budhiraja won medal for Best All Rounder
- PGP in management for working executives
- Jaideep Singh won Chairman’s Gold Medal
- Jagmeet Singh Suri bagged Director’s Medal
Prasad said IIM-L with the guidance from the Union human resource development ministry is in the process of setting up the National Faculty Management Centre (NMFDC) at its Noida campus. NMFDC will be distinctly positioned as a high-quality capacity-building centre to create a suitable pool of faculty for management institutions in the country.
JJ Irani, the chairperson of IIM-L board of governors, shared his wisdom with the graduating batch and highlighted the role of parents in ensuring access to quality education to their wards. Sharing anecdotes about JRD Tata, he concluded with the following words: “Be humble, be true, and be honest. You will have the world at your feet.”
First Published: Mar 21, 2017 16:04 IST