Psychiatry is the branch of medicine dealing with the treatment and prevention of mental illness. Mental disorders are characterised by a variety of symptoms such as abnormal moods or behaviour, excessive anxiety and hallucination. Many mental disorders are believed to result from a combination of emotional, social and biological factors. To treat the patient, a psychiatrist might discuss problems with one patient, prescribe drugs for another, and combine discussions, drugs and therapy for third. They deal with the science of mental health, wherein clinical disorders of psychiatry, and problems pertaining to social, occupational, and psychological concerns, are treated with medication and counselling. Since they help many patients with mental problems lead almost normal lives, psychiatrists play an important role in society
9am: Reach hospital
10am: Examine patients
Noon: Take stock of the administrative work of the hospital
2pm: Visit specialty clinics such as child guidance and psychosexual centres
4.30pm: Case discussions and seminars
7pm: Call it a day
A doctor who is an independent consultant would have a different work schedule depending on the timings of the clinics he attends
Most doctors would be working as consultants with hospitals or private clinics. Some may have their own set-ups, or have temporary arrangements with hospitals. The pay is usually based on the number of patients one examines. It may go up as you grow in experience. One can also work with international agencies such as the World Health Organisation, Unicef etc, or with PSUs and government setups like jails, or large organisations that have their own medical facilities. Other avenues are research or becoming an adviser at pharmaceutical companies producing psychoactive drugs.
In a government set-up, the pay bands are Rs 50,000-60,000 a month (entry level), Rs 80,000-90,000 a month (middle level) and Rs 1-1.5 lakh a month (senior). In a private hospital, a doctor would get more or less similar pay. However, a senior doctor with a good practice and experience may earn more than R2.5 lakh per month
* S/he must be a good listener
* Have a lot of patience
* Ability to strike a rapport with the patient
* Ability to empathise
* Ability to remain detached from the patient’s problems
As a part of the extensive training that psychiatrists undergo during their residency, they are taught medical and psychological skills
You would need to pass the medical entrance, then complete MBBS, and then appear for PG exam followed by MD in psychiatry
Institutes and URLs
* NIMHANS, Bangalore
* CIP, Ranchi
* PGIMER, Chandigarh
* AIIMS, New Delhi
* KGMC, Lucknow
* MAMC, LHMC, New Delhi
Pros and cons
* Satisfaction when a patient improves or is rehabilitated
* No ‘emergencies’ in this line
* One can rise fast as India has fewer psychiatrists
* Some of stigma attached to mental illness may rub off on the doctor
* Earning not proportionate with the time spent on a patient, compared to other branches of medicine
* You may fall prey to depression while continuously treating patients with mental imbalance
The field has excellent prospects as there’s a significant shortage of psychiatrists in our country. Psychiatry is now a well-established branch of medicine Samir Parikh, chief psychiatrist, Department of Mental Health and Behavioral Sciences, Max Healthcare, New Delhi
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Bihar government on Tuesday admitted in the state assembly that the enrolment of students in the government and government-aided schools had declined by 40 lakh in 2018-19 compared to 2014-15.
- The recruitment examinations include the West Bengal Civil Service exam, West Bengal Audit, and Accounts Service exam, and West Bengal Civil Service main exam 2020.
- AIIMS INI CET July 2021 Session: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the INI-CET 2021 examination online at aiimsexams.org on or before March 31, 2021, until 5 pm.
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) has released the hall ticket or admit card for MPSC State Services Prelims exam 2020.
- UP Board, will conduct its class 10 (high school) and class 12 (intermediate) examinations-2021 at 729 additional centres spread across the state as compared to last year owing to the Covid pandemic.
- FCI Recruitment 2021: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the positions online at fci.gov.in on or before March 31, 2021, until 4 pm.
- PSTCL Recruitment 2021: After the application process begins, interested and eligible candidates will be able to apply for the positions online at pstcl.org on or before March 26, 2021.
- JKBOSE class 10 results 2020: Students who have appeared in the JKBOSE class 10 board exams 2020 can check their results online at jkbose.ac.in.
- BHU SET 2021: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the BHU SET 2021 examination online at bhuonline.in on or before March 31, 2021.
- CBSE, ICSE and many other state boards have announced the dates for board examinations and students appearing in the exams must be a anxious lot by now.