A look at the movies releasing today
The film that swept the Oscars with a total of 4 wins-The King's Speech is finally hitting theatres today. Here's a look at other films releasing this week.
The King’s Speech
Director: Tom Hooper
Stars: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter
Synopsis: The film is a biopic about England’s King George VI (father of present day Queen Elizabeth II) and his
lifelong struggle to overcome his speech impediment. Suffering from a stammer from an early age, the young Prince Albert (Colin Firth) dreaded any public speaking engagement and history records that his speech at the closing of the 1925 Commonwealth exhibition in London was difficult for both him and everyone listening that day. He tried different therapies over many years but it was only when he met Lionel Logue(Geoffrey Rush), a speech therapist, that he truly began to make progress. Logue did not have a medical degree but had worked as an
elocution coach in the theatre and had worked with shell-shocked soldiers after World War I. Through a variety of techniques and much hard work, Albert learns to speak in such a way so as to make his impediment a minor problem and delivers a faultless speech heard around the world via radio when England declared war on Nazi Germany in 1939. The King and Logue remained lifelong friends.
Genre: Psychological thriller
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Stars: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey and Winona Ryder
Synopsis: Nina (Natalie Portman) is a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her obsessive former ballerina mother Erica (Hershey) who exerts a suffocating control over her. When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Vincent Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Winona Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily (Mila Kunis), has impressed Leroy as well. Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side - a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.
Both Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis trained in ballet for several months prior to filming and notable figures from the ballet world helped with film production to shape the ballet presentation. Portman won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of the obsessed ballerina.
Director: Yogesh Mittal
Stars: Anupam kher, Rachita Bhattacharya, Seema Biswas, Sudha Chandran and Tena Desae
Synopsis: Arunima, daughter of one of the biggest builders in town, Devinder Devilal Dua returns home after completing her studies. Dua loves his daughter and she also admires him deeply. After Arunima finds a will left away by her dead mother, she discovers that her mother was not as happy as her father says she was. Also, Arunima learns about her father’s violent behaviour. Arunima is torn between love for her father and the truth that paints him in bad colour. The man she loves the most is the man Arunima suspects. The shadow of doubt makes it difficult for her to live with. So, Arunima sets out on a journey to find the truth about her mothers’ and fathers’ past and more so how her mother died. Will this search for truth make the bond between the father and daughter strong or will it tear apart their relationship?
Genre: Romantic comedy
Director: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly
Stars: Owen Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Christina Applegate and Jenna Fischer
Synopsis: Rick (Owen Wilson) and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) have been best friends for long. They have a lot in common, including the fact that they have each been married for many years. But when the two men begin to show signs of restlessness and boredom at home, their wives (Jenna Fischer, Christina Applegate) take a bold approach to revitalising their individual marriages: granting them a “hall pass,” one week of freedom to do whatever they want...no questions asked. At first, it sounds like a dream come true for both Rick and Fred. But it isn’t long before they discover that their expectations are out of sync with the reality.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Sahil Anand, recently seen on Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2, announced that him and his wife Rajneet Monga are expecting their first child. Check out his post.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Actor Anita Hassanandani has shared new pictures and videos of her newborn son, Aaravv. Check them out here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Meghan Markle has been accused of bullying Palace staff members during her stay in 2018. While the Kensington Palace said that it is investigating the claims, Meghan's friends are coming to her defense.