Anil Kapoor was hesitant to play Priyanka Chopra’s father in Dil Dhadakne Do as they were once offered romantic films
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
Anil Kapoor confessed that he had reservations about playing Priyanka Chopra’s father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as he was offered films opposite her in the past. He was having some trouble with the transition from possibly playing a romantic pair to father-daughter.
It was Anil’s son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, who encouraged him to take up the role, reminding him that he was just playing a character and was ‘not actually her father’.
Speaking to Tiffin Talks, Anil said that he has been ‘quite brave’ from the beginning of his career, and played an older character in Lamhe. “But my issue was… I am being very honest. I was like, ‘Priyanka Chopra’s father, yaar!’ We were supposed to do films where I was romantically with her. I thought, ‘Ranveer Singh phir bhi newcomer hai yaar’,” he said.
“Harsh came to me and said, ‘You are not actually her father, you are playing a role.’ Sometimes, you need such broad-minded and forward-thinking people around you who put sense into you. I thought, ‘Things have changed now, it’s you playing a character. You are not actually her father’,” he added.
In Dil Dhadakne Do, directed by Zoya Akhtar, Anil played a business magnate on the verge of bankruptcy, with Priyanka and Ranveer playing his children. The film, which also featured Anushka Sharma, Farhan Akhtar, Rahul Bose and Shefali Shah in key roles, was a critical and commercial success.
Anil was most recently seen in AK vs AK, alongside Anurag Kashyap. Directed by Vikramaditya Motwane, the Netflix release saw them playing fictional versions of themselves. Harsh Varrdhan and his sister, Sonam Kapoor, also made cameo appearances in the film.
Anil will be seen next in Raj Mehta’s comedy, Jug Jugg Jeeyo, which also stars Varun Dhawan, Kiara Advani and Neetu Kapoor. He also has Karan Johar’s ambitious period drama, Takht, in the pipeline.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As Karisma Kapoor showed off her figure in a new Instagram post, Manish Malhotra and Sophie Choudry were reminded of her Dil To Pagal Hai days.
Vineet Kumar Singh: My career has been built from one-two scenes; I have played the role of a dead body too
- Kangana Ranaut on Monday shared photos of her partially demolished Mumbai office, and said that her 'heart broke again' after she visited the property.
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, urged Sushant Singh Rajput's fans to stop blaming her and said that no one knows her side of the story. She also revealed that she went through depression.
- Sanjay Dutt introduced fans to his new look in a family portrait shared by his wife Maanayata Dutt. He could be seen sporting bleached hair in the photo.
- Priyanka Chopra said that while she gets a lot of love and protectiveness from her South Asian fans, there are a lot of people from the community who are negative about her.
- Actor Rahul Bose has reacted to Anil Kapoor's story about almost killing him while shooting a scene for Dil Dhadakne Do.
- 83 will explore the dynamic between Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev, actor Tahir Raj Bhasin has teased. Ranveer Singh plays Kapil in the upcoming sports drama, directed by Kabir Khan.
- After wearing a T-shirt with 'let's smash patriarchy' printed on it just ahead of her arrest last year, Rhea Chakraborty made a fresh statement with her clothes on Sunday, by wearing a hoodie with 'Man up' written on it.