Emraan Hashmi calls Bollywood ‘fake’, explains his distance from the industry
Actor Emraan Hashmi, who has been a part of the film industry for nearly two decades now, called it ‘fake’. He also revealed why he chooses to distance himself from the glitz and glamour, once his work is done.
Emraan said that it is a ‘work ethic’ which he has followed since he started out in Bollywood. He was then asked if he stays away because he finds the industry ‘fake’, where people hype others to their faces but also tear them down behind their backs.
Talking to radio host Siddharth Kannan, Emraan said, “Aisa toh hai (This is a fact). There are no two ways about it. That is the truth of our industry. But it is not just because of that. I think a person’s life should be more than just their profession.”
Emraan said that he remains grounded because of his friends, whom he has known for years, who have nothing to do with the film industry. He also credited his family for keeping him rooted and said that he cherishes their criticism, as it gives him a ‘realistic perspective’. Distancing himself from the film industry after spending so much time on set helps him maintain his sanity, he added.
Currently, Emraan is gearing up for the release of Sanjay Gupta’s gangster drama Mumbai Saga, which will hit the theatres on March 19. The film also stars John Abraham, Kajal Agarwal, Mahesh Manjrekar, Suniel Shetty, Prateik Babbar, Rohit Roy, Gulshan Grover and Amole Gupte in pivotal roles.
Mumbai Saga traces the journey of Bombay becoming Mumbai and will shine a light on crucial events in the 1980s and 1990s. It marks the filmmaker’s return to the gangster-drama genre eight years after Shootout at Wadala.
Post that, Emraan will be seen in Rumi Jafry's Chehre, which also stars Amitabh Bachchan, Krystle D'Souza, Annu Kapoor, Drithiman Chatterjee and Raghubir Yadav. The film also reportedly stars Rhea Chakraborty but she was not mentioned in the cast or featured on the poster released on Tuesday. It will release on April 30.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.
- Janhvi Kapoor celebrated her 24th birthday on Saturday, with the team of Good Luck Jerry. See inside pictures and videos from the celebrations here.