Monsoon fashion done right, 7 tips to keep your style quotient high this season
Monsoon is in full swing and it’s time to update your wardrobe for the rainy season. While torrential downpour, puddles and muddy streets can make dressing up a challenge, following some simple guidelines can keep your fashion game high. RK Jain, managing director of Bonjour, and DebsenaChakraborty, co-founder, GoPursu.com, suggest some tips:
* Add a pop of colour to your wardrobe: You might have a preference for subtle colours, but this is the season to bring out bright coloured outfits. You can pick colours such as orange, canary yellow, and fuchsia pink to stand out from the crowd. If you are not comfortable with wearing such vibrant colours, you can go for a pair of neon-coloured socks to get a funky look. Nowadays, even working professionals tend to match their formal outfit with colourful socks.
* Pick monsoon-perfect socks: Closed footwear should ideally be avoided in the monsoon. However, most of us don’t have the liberty to wear casual shoes at the workplace. If you are wearing closed footwear in monsoon, make sure to wear waterproof socks which will keep your feet dry and safe from bacterial infection. Usually thicker than normal socks, waterproof socks come with moisture-wicking and anti-microbial properties.
* Choose the right footwear: Travelling in the monsoon is a task in itself, and the wrong choice of footwear can make things worse. Unless you want to spoil your favourite pair of shoes, avoid wearing stilettos or kitten heels. Also, wearing shoes that are made of leather, suede and velvet is not a wise decision. Instead, go for rubber footwear, jelly shoes, crocs, and colourful flip-flops. If you want to make a bold statement, wear a pair of thigh-high PVC boots, which are all the rage this season.
* Make a statement with your umbrella: If you look at the current trends, umbrellas are taking the fashion world by storm. A fun, bright-coloured umbrella can make your outfit look vibrant and playful. Carrying a cherry red umbrella in the sea of black umbrellas will turn some heads for sure. You can experiment by picking an umbrella with quirky prints that brings out the kid in you. However, if you want to buy something sophisticated, go for umbrellas in pastel colours.
* Choosing the right attire: When you are travelling, try to avoid wearing jeans, trousers or dresses that go below your knees. Instead, choose shorts, skirts and dresses with a short hem that will not get dirty easily. If you want to add a fun quotient to your style, wear a bright coloured romper or jumpsuit.
* The fabric matters: During monsoon, it’s almost impossible to not get drenched in a sudden downpour when we step outside. This is why choosing the right fabric is important. Avoid wearing clothes made of denim or silk, as they tend to take a lot to dry up and even gets ruined, especially silk. Upon the arrival of rainy season, pick clothes that are made of cotton or polyester which are not only comfortable but also dry quicker.
* Don’t forget to carry your handbag: While you may want to skip carrying a handbag during monsoon, it’s not a wise decision. If you are travelling, choose a spacious bag that is big enough to hold the essentials as well as the umbrella. Tote bags come really handy in the monsoon.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more