Trevor Morgan quits, Armando Colaco set to be new East Bengal football coach
Trevor Morgan has told East Bengal bosses that he wished to be relieved of his responsibilities with immediate effect. Armando Colaco was East Bengal football coach from 2013 to early 2015.Updated: Apr 17, 2017 22:04 IST
After four successive defeats ended hopes of a maiden I-League, Trevor Morgan stepped down as East Bengal football coach on Monday evening.
Trevor Morgan, appointed, late last season with a deal that extended into this term, said he wished to be relieved of his responsibilities with immediate effect. He won the Kolkata football league last year extending East Bengal’s hold on that competition for seven unprecedented years.
East Bengal have said a new coach would be announced soon and it is possible that Armando Colaco will take charge. Colaco was East Bengal coach from 2013 to early 2015.
Armando Colaco is rumoured to be reaching Kolkata this week as he would like to see East Bengal’s remaining games in the 10th I-League where they now have 27 points from 16 games.
Leaders Mohun Bagan have 32 from 16 as do second-placed Aizawl FC who trail on head to head.
“If East Bengal need me, I would be more than happy to help,” Armando Colaco told HT over the phone from Goa on Monday.
Karim Bencherifa and Ashley Westwood too are in the running, sources at the club said, but Colaco has the best chance, it was learnt.
Till then, training would be supervised by three former stars of the club. East Bengal named Manoranjan Bhattacharya, Tushar Rakshit and Bhaskar Ganguly to supervise operation and speak to the team on Tuesday.
Going swimmingly till the defeat against Churchill Brothers at home last month, East Bengal’s campaign disintegrated spectacularly thereafter. On March 12, they lost to newbies Chennai City FC and resuming after the break, fell 1-2 to Mohun Bagan in the Kolkata derby.
The 0-1 defeat to DSK Shivajians on Sunday proved to be the proverbial last straw that broke the camel’s back.
Plaza fined, banned
East Bengal striker Willis Plaza was fined Rs 5 lakh and banned for two games for his red-card offence against Mohun Bagan on April 9. That means the 10th I-League is over for the Trinidad and Tobago international.
Plaza had hit Mohun Bagan central defender Anas Edathodika in the second half in Siliguri when East Bengal were trailing 0-2.
First Published: Apr 17, 2017 21:40 IST