Madhi residents debunk conversion claim, call it attempt to defame village

Yaddin, the village sarpanch, said though the area is Muslim-dominated, no one has ever forced a Hindu resident to embrace Islam
Mewat district administration had on Friday suspended two teachers and transferred a third one following complaints of forced conversions by students.(Sanjeev Verma/HT PHOTO)
Mewat district administration had on Friday suspended two teachers and transferred a third one following complaints of forced conversions by students.(Sanjeev Verma/HT PHOTO)
Updated on Jul 31, 2017 10:23 PM IST
Copy Link
Hindustan Times | ByYashaswani Sehrawat, Mewat

Rubbishing allegations that the Hindu students were forced to offer namaz and convert to Islam, residents of the Madhi village called it was an attempt to defame Mewat.

The Mewat district administration had on Friday suspended two teachers and transferred a third one following complaints of forced conversions.

“Our kids study here and we too visit the school. Praying or not praying is solely one’s own wish. Neither the students nor any of the teachers have ever forced anybody to qubool (embrace) Islam,” 50-year-old Yaddin, Madhi village sarpanch, said.

Yaddin said that though the area is Muslim-dominated, nobody has ever forced or even asked a Hindu to pray with them.

Asar Khan, an ex-panchayat member, said that all the news reports stating that beef biryani was being made at the hostel and the Hindus were forced to offer namaz are false.

“This is a school where students come to study. It doesn’t matter whether a student is a Hindu or a Muslim. All this is baseless and are only meant to give a bad name to Mewat,” Khan said.

Siddique, the head of a committee who looks into the Madhi school and the one who represents the school in meetings of Mewat Development Agency (under which the school is run), said the suspension of teachers and these baseless rumours was a conspiracy by the school in-charge Navin Shakti and one of the teachers, Santram.

“I have often noticed during my rounds that Santram was never in his classroom and always used to roam around. He used to sit with the new school in-charge. I personally saw him consuming alcohol in one of the empty classrooms around 8-10 days ago,” Siddique said.

He said that since Muslim teachers used to tell Santram to focus on his work and villagers often scolded him, Santram decided to take revenge (by making up the forced conversion story).

Mohd Arif, the hostel warden and the social science teacher, who has been transferred ,had a similar tale to tell.

“We have been targeted by Santram and Shakti madam. Santram was earlier in Punhana and was suspended for allegedly harassing a girl,” Arif told HT.

Read I Unease at Mewat school after students allegedly forced to offer namaz, probe on

Arif said no forced conversion ever happened in the school or the hostel.

“The letter of transfer doesn’t even mention the reason for the transfer. How can then one blame us for forcing our religion on the others?” he said.

On Friday, a group of CID and district officials visited the Mewat Model School in Madhi village and took the statement of the students. They also sealed the computer lab of the school over suspicions of foul play.

The same day, two teachers- Mubarik Ali, who taught computer science, and Urdu teacher Mainuddin- were suspended while Arif, who was also the social science teacher, was transferred to the school in Firozpur Jhirka.

A three-member committee, headed by director of education, was formed to look into the issue on Friday.

Chairperson of Mewat Development Agency Khurshid Ahmed said that he had visited the school recently and nothing of this sort came to light.

“I was myself shocked to know that such allegation were made against teachers and students. I had visited the school only the previous day and nobody told me anything,” he said.

“Things would be clear after the report comes out,” he said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • TV actress Chethana Raj's family alleged that she died due to negligence by a private hospital in Bengaluru. (Source: English Sakshi)

    Kannada TV actress Chethana Raj dies at 21 after plastic surgery goes wrong

    Kannada TV actor Chethana Raj has died after complications from a cosmetic surgery she had undergone at a private hospital in Bengaluru's Rajajinagar. The 21-year-old actor's family alleged she died due to negligence by Dr Shetty's Cosmetic Centre where she had undergone the surgery. Local media reports suggest that fluid had accumulated in her lungs, causing her to become breathless. However, there was no ICU available at the cosmetic hospital she got operated in.

  • The mangled remains of the Force Trax Cruiser after it rammed into a truck near Audhi village in Haryana’s Rewari district on Tuesday. (HT Photo)

    5 of family returning from Haridwar killed in accident

    Five members of a family, including two women, were killed and 12 others were injured when the multi-utility vehicle (MUV) they were travelling in rammed into a stationary truck on the Delhi-Jaipur highway early on Tuesday, police said.

  •  (HT PHOTO)

    Cyber fraudster dupes naval official

    A fraudster duped a naval officer of 1.25 lakh by sending him an SMS saying that his account would soon be blocked as he had not updated his Know Your Customer details. To update the details, the officer clicked the link in January. Since the complainant was out working on a ship, he was unavailable to record his statement for five months. A First Information Report was later registered against the unidentified fraudster.

  • The allegations are of making appointments at Haryana State Warehousing Corporation in an illegal and arbitrary manner when senior Haryana IAS officer Ashok Khemka (in photo) served as its managing director 12 years ago. (HT file photo)

    Punjab and Haryana high court stays Khemka’s arrest in Panchkula case

    The Punjab and Haryana high court on Tuesday stayed the arrest of senior IAS officer Ashok Khemka in a case registered against him under the Prevention of Corruption Act in Panchkula. The FIR was registered on the complaint of the managing director of the Haryana State Warehousing Corporation, Sanjeev Verma, on April 26 at the Sector-5 police station in Panchkula.

  • Punjab farmers want to carry out paddy transplantation from June 10 instead of June 18. They also want the fee charged for increasing the power load to be decreased by the Bhagwant Mann-led AAP government. (Sameer Sehgal/HT)

    Farmer leaders meet Punjab CM over new paddy sowing schedule

    Members of 23 farmer unions of Punjab gathered at Amb Sahib Gurudwara in Phase-8 in Mohali on Tuesday morning to march towards Chandigarh as part of their protest against the paddy-sowing schedule announced by the Bhagwant Mann-led Aam Aadmi Party government. Also read: Farmer unions in Punjab slam wheat export ban All Mohali-Chandigarh borders, including the Yadavindra Public School roundabout, have been sealed as a precautionary measure since Monday night.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, May 17, 2022