Star Wars’ John Boyega, hundreds evacuated from London theatre after bomb threat
John Boyega was performing his new play Woyzeck when he and hundreds of other people were asked to evacuate the theatre.Updated: May 28, 2017 10:49 IST
Star Wars actor John Boyega was among hundreds of people evacuated from the Old Vic theatre in London on Saturday afternoon due to a bomb threat.
Boyega, who was doing a play titled Woyzeck at the theatre with other cast members, was asked to stop the performance after the security alert was raised, reported BBC.
The venue near Waterloo was evacuated along with nearby pubs and restaurants.
The 25-year-old actor and the rest of the cast were sent to the Imperial War Museum gardens near the theatre while police conducted their searches.
The Old Vic subsequently confirmed the reports by tweeting, “We have been evacuated as a precaution; audience safety is our priority. We are liaising with the Met Police.”
We have been evacuated as a precaution; audience safety is our priority. We are liaising with the Met Police. Check here for updates.— The Old Vic (@oldvictheatre) May 27, 2017
The incident was found not to be suspicious. Thank you for your understanding.— The Old Vic (@oldvictheatre) May 27, 2017
Following Met Police advice, this evening's performance will go ahead as planned.— The Old Vic (@oldvictheatre) May 27, 2017
A Met Police spokeswoman said it had been called at about 14:30 BST (19:00 PM IST) to a report of a security alert at the theatre and a decision was taken to evacuate the building.
About two hours later the police said the incident was “not suspicious”.
Thank you #Woyzeck— John Boyega (@JohnBoyega) May 27, 2017
Several hours later, Boyega also took to Twitter to say, “Thank you #Woyzek.”
UK is under heightened security after May 22 deadly attack at pop star Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: May 28, 2017 10:49 IST