As Covid-19 worries mount, all arriving from abroad may get hand-stamped
India is considering stamping with indelible ink the hands of all international arrivals in the country to make it easier for the government to track and penalise people who evade the mandatory14-day home-quarantine that is needed to protect infected people with no symptoms or mild symptoms from spreading coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in the community.
“With so many people resisting quarantine, the government is looking into hand stamping and fining people to enforce home quarantine. People should be more socially responsible, but with so many cases of people running away and breaking quarantine, we have to find ways to ensure compliance to protect the community from infection,” said Dr Randeep Guleria, director, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
“Hospitals are overflowing, we need the beds for patients. With numbers growing, we can’t use hospital beds for suspected cases. Home-quarantine is necessary,” he said.
Hospitals, including AIIMS and Safdarjung, have cancelled elective surgeries and requested those people to reschedule appointments in the out-patient department after three weeks, if possible, to lower the risk of exposure to infection.
Travel restrictions, testing and social distancing, including home-quarantining suspected cases and people at risk, helped China stop community transmission, with the country reporting no new locally transmitted cases on Wednesday for the first time since early December. China has reported 81,000 cases and 3,245 deaths.
“People resisting being screened and quarantined has become a huge hurdle in infection control. With the infection spreading to almost all countries, the government will have to enforce home quarantine to stop infection,” said a senior public health expert, requesting anonymity.
Results from testing a small sample of around 1,000 cases hospitalised with severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) across India found no community infection in India.
Since Monday, all arrivals at Mumbai airports have a “home quarantined” stamped on the back of their hand across with the date to show when their 14-day isolation is scheduled to end.
Maharashtra is the worst affected state in India, accounting for roughly a quarter of India’s Covid-19 cases.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Rafale jets will cover the journey to India in a single stretch with refuelling support of the UAE air force
- Russia is set to train the first group of Indian military specialists in operating the S-400 and the first batteries are expected by September.
- Among other charges, the two men have also been booked under sections of the Uttar Pradesh Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Ordinance
- Digvijaya Singh accused the Centre of trying to derail the farmers' protest
- At a press conference, AAP spokesperson Raghav Chadha, while questioning the connection between Sidhu and BJP, showed several photos purportedly of the actor with various BJP leaders. "The BJP planted their stooge Deep Sidhu to create chaos in farmers' tractor parade," Chadha said.
- The police said the IED was most probably planted in the night and that the perpetrators were probably familiar with the troop movement.