BJP gets a big say in Nitish’s new team: A look at ministers in Bihar cabinet
The increased heft of the BJP reflected the changed political equations in Bihar, with Nitish Kumar depending more on the NDA-led central government to deliver on his promises of development.Updated: Jul 29, 2017 22:43 IST
Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar inducted 27 new ministers on Saturday, giving the the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) the highest-ever representation in his government as well as the plum portfolios the saffron party held before he broke his party’s alliance with it four years ago.
The new ministers were administered the oath of office and secrecy at a function at the Raj Bhavan by governor Keshri Nath Tripathi.
The increased heft of the BJP reflected the changed political equations in Bihar, with Kumar depending more on the NDA-led central government to deliver on his promises of development. The allocation of portfolios also gave a glimpse of the coalition partners’ priorities.
Following the oath of 27 new ministers - 12 of the BJP, 1 of LJP and 14 of the JD(U) - the strength of Nitish cabinet now reaches 29.
Here is the full list of the ministers of Bihar cabinet and their portfolios:
Bharatiya Janata Party
1. Sushil Kumar Modi (deputy chief minister): Finance; forest, commercial taxes and information technology.
2.Prem Kumar: Agriculture.
3.Nand Kishore Yadav: Road construction.
4.Mangal Pandey: Health.
5.Ram Narayan Mandal: Revenue and land reforms.
6.Pramod Kumar: Tourism.
7.Vinod Narayan Jha: Public health engineering department.
8.Suresh Sharma: Urban development and housing.
9.Vijay Kumar Sinha: Labour resources and employment.
10.Rana Randhir Singh: Cooperatives.
11.Vinod Kumar Singh: Mines and geology.
12.. Krishna Kumar Rishi: Art and culture.
13. Braj Kishore Bind: Backward and extremely backward classes.
Janata Dal (United)
1. Nitish Kumar (chief minister): Home, general administration, cabinet, vigilance, IPRD and law.
2. Bijendra Yadav: Energy, excise and prohibition, registration.
3. Rajiv Rajan alias Lalan Singh: Water resources, planning and development.
4.Shravan Kumar: Rural development, parliamentary affairs.
5.Jai Kumar Singh: Industries, science and technology.
6. Krishnanadan Verma: Education.
7. Maheshwar Hazari: Building construction.
8. Shailesh Kumar: Rural works department.
9.Kumari Manju Verma: Social welfare.
10.Santosh Kumar Nirala: Transport.
11.urshid alias Firoz Ahmad: Minority welfare; sugarcane industries.
12.Madan Sahni: Food and consumer protection.
13.Kapildeo Kamat: Panchayati Raj.
14.Dinesh Chandra Yadav: Minor irrigation; disaster management.
15. Ramesh Rishidev: SC/ST welfare.
Lok Janshakti Party
1. Pashupati Kumar Paras: Animal husbandry and fisheries.
First Published: Jul 29, 2017 22:39 IST