Defunct submarine Sindhurakshak finally disposed of
The submarine’s sinking was one of the worse tragedies to hit the Indian Navy since the sinking of INS Khukri in the 1971 Indo-Pak war.Updated: Jul 10, 2017 22:29 IST
The Indian Navy has finally rested its Russian-built submarine INS Sindhurakshak that sank after an explosion onboard killing 18 sailors in August 2013.
Navy sources told HT that the submarine, one of the 10 Kilo-class submarines operated by India, was “disposed of at sea” last month.
The sources said the 2,300-tonne submarine was disposed of in the Arabian Sea and its final resting point is 3,000 metres under the sea. The submarine was used as a training platform by the navy’s elite marine commandos for some time after it was salvaged.
“Usually, when a warship is decommissioned, serviceable equipment and components are removed and fitted on other vessels or what is known as cannibalisation. Each and every nut and bolt is accounted for. The Sindhurakshak was a total write-off,” a navy officer said.
The submarine’s sinking was one of the worse tragedies to hit the navy since the sinking of INS Khukri in the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
The disaster took place seven months after the 2,300-tonne warship was overhauled at the Zvezdochka shipyard in Russia at a cost of more than $80 million.
The navy will sharpen its under warfare capabilities with the induction of first Scorpene-class submarine, named Kalvari, this year. “Kalvari is ready for induction and the second boat, Khanderi, is likely to be commissioned by the year-end,” the officer said.
The two submarines are among the six Scorpene boats being constructed in the country with technology transfer from French firm DCNS under a Rs 23,562-crore programme called Project 75.
Scorpene submarines are expected to become the main conventional submarine of the Indian naval fleet and replace the ageing Russian Kilo class and German HDW vessels that are almost three decades old.
First Published: Jul 10, 2017 20:45 IST