News updates from Hindustan Times at 5 PM:8 Malaysians linked to Tablighi Jamaat deboarded from rescue flight and all the latest news
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion at 5 PM. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
8 Malaysians linked to Tablighi Jamaat deboarded from rescue flight
Eight Malaysian nationals were intercepted by immigration authorities and deboarded from a flight to Kuala Lumpur after they were identified as Tablighi Jamaat members who attended the religious congregation in Nizamuddin, which is linked to one-third of India’s coronavirus infections, said officials. Read more
Amid lockdown, Chhattisgarh Police re-calibrate anti-Maoist ops in Bastar
The lockdown to fight coronavirus has forced Chhattisgrah Police to re-calibrate and scale down anti-Maoist operations for security reasons and apprehension of likely shortage of essential items for the troopers, top officials said Sunday. Read more
50 mn jobs in tourism sector at stake, need relief packages to combat Covid-19: Industry bodies to govt
Fifty million people will lose their jobs in the tourism sector if the government does not issue a relief package, industry bodies told the Centre during a virtual conference on Saturday. Read more
Spain witnesses drop in coronavirus deaths for third day
The rate of the coronavirus outbreak continues to slow in Spain, the country with the second most infections behind the United States. Spain recorded 6,023 confirmed new infections on Sunday, taking the national tally to 130,759. Read more
Ramayana: From Arun Govil to Deepika Chikhalia, what actors of hit mythological serial are doing now
The coronavirus lockdown has been an unexpected boom for Doordarshan. The national broadcaster is back to being the most happening place with mega mythological serials from the golden era of Doordarshan back on screen -- Ramanand Saagar’s Ramayana and BR Chopra’s Mahabharat are currently on air. Read more
Sridevi, the Eternal Screen Goddess and ‘Female’ Bachchan who fought for equality in Bollywood
The lines above are from the book, Sridevi: The Eternal Screen Goddess, by Satyarth Nayak. In this excerpt, Rishi Kapoor is describing his interaction with Sridevi during the making of the blockbuster hit, Nagina, showing us how shy and reserved India’s first female superstar actually was in real life. Read more
Decision on reopening schools, colleges to be taken on April 14: HRD minister
The HRD minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on Sunday said that the government will decide whether to reopen schools, colleges on April 14 after reviewing the coronavirus situation. Read more
Covid-19 lockdown: Tech accessories, products professionals need to work from home
Working from home is what most of the employees and professionals are doing these days due to the 21-day coronavirus lockdown imposed by the government. And because we are not used to this routine and environment, working with full focus can be difficult at times. Read more
Did that guy just walk in on himself during a Zoom meeting? Watch
Who said work from home couldn’t be fun? Video producer and very-serious-professional Dan Crowd is here to remind us to have a little laugh and not take ourselves too seriously. Read more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In January, the Supreme Court dismissed pleas of the Uttar Pradesh government challenging the bail granted to Samajwadi Party MP Azam Khan, his wife Dr Tanzeen Fathima, and son Abdullah Azam Khan in an alleged case of forging birth certificate.
- An associate of the judicial magistrate allegedly demanded and accepted a bribe on her behalf for dismissing a criminal complaint against a milk vendor.
- Earlier, the CM had hit out at BJP's minister of state for external affairs, V Muraleedharan, alleging after his elevation, smuggling from West Asian countries increased manifold
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi's rally at the famous Brigade Parade Grounds in Maidan area is expected to draw a huge crowd.
- The police were investigating the case from all possible angles.
- In India, the cases reached 11.19 million and the death toll stands at 157,656. The country has inoculated more than 20 million in the ongoing vaccination drive.