New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 28, 2020-Wednesday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / India News / Odisha couple charred to death from stove fire while making tea

Odisha couple charred to death from stove fire while making tea

The police is further investigating the incident after the fire was doused.

india Updated: Oct 16, 2020, 14:59 IST
Debabrata Mohanty  | Edited by Abhinav Sahay
Debabrata Mohanty | Edited by Abhinav Sahay
Hindustan Times, Bhubaneswar
Police officials say that the woman’s husband was also burnt to death when he tried to rescue his wife.
Police officials say that the woman’s husband was also burnt to death when he tried to rescue his wife. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

A middle-aged couple from western Odisha district of Jharsuguda was charred to death on Friday morning, when the 40-year-old wife’s clothes caught fire while she was lighting a coal-fired stove inside their house.

Police officials in Jharsuguda said 40-years-old Geeta Das of Rampur village under Brajrajnagar police station area was lighting up the stove for making tea when her saree accidentally caught fire. Though she pushed the stove away in an attempt to save herself, the fire had engulfed her body by then.

Jharsuguda SP Rahul PR said Geeta’s husband Giribara (47) went to rescue her and was badly burnt too. The couple died on the spot. Later, the fire spread further, turning several household items to ashes.

tags

Sign In to continue reading