Sikkim’s Pakyong airport to become 100th functional airport in India: Jayant Sinha
The Pakyong airport in Sikkim is set to become the 100th operational airport in the country when it is commissioned in June, minister of state for civil aviation Jayant Sinha said on Wednesday.
Low-cost airline SpiceJet has been granted permission to fly to Pakyong from Kolkata under the civil aviation ministry’s regional connectivity scheme.
Sikkim was the only state without an airport in the country. “The state would enter the aviation map soon when Pakyong airport becomes operational,” said Sinha.
Twenty-five airports have been added to the aviation network under the regional connectivity scheme. The airports from where flights would start in May/June under the scheme are Jamshedpur, Cooch Behar, Durgapur, Kullu and Pantnagar, according to Airport Authority of India chairperson Guruprasad Mohapatra.
Mohapatra also said that 13 airports under the scheme are being upgraded. They include Kanpur, Rourkela, Burnpur, Utkela, Jeypore, Jharsuguda, Bilaspur, Ambikapur, Jagdalpur, Mithapur, Neyveli, Solapur and Raigarh.
Besides, 23 airports and helipads have been awarded to handle helicopter operations under the scheme, Mohapatra said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A crime branch team of Tripura police led by deputy superintendent of police Ajay Kumar Das raided Kar's residence and recovered forged documents.
- The petitions challenging the Tamil Nadu quota law have been pending in the Supreme Court since 2012.
- The report titled “Freedom in the World 2021 - Democracy under Siege” said India “appears to have abandoned its potential to serve as a global democratic leader”.
- India’s sedition law has an interesting past — it was introduced by the British in 1870, decided to be dropped from the Constitution in 1948 after discussions of the Constituent Assembly.
- India will also promote tourism by celebrating 2022 as the Visit India Year through a promotion campaign highlighting India’s strengths like heritage, culture, art, wellness and yoga.
- The ADG has constituted teams of police personnel from Aligarh to assist the Hathras police.
- The incident took place on Sunday afternoon, when the girl went to a wheat field, owned by the family of the accused, to collect fodder and water.