Sign in

Tezpur University teachers' body questions silence of Edu Min after submission of probe report

Tezpur University teachers' body questions silence of Edu Min after submission of probe report

Published on: Aug 23, 2026, 15:02:22 IST
PTI
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

Guwahati, Tezpur University Teachers' Association on Sunday said that after seven months of constituting an enquiry committee, which submitted its report on irregularity allegations against VC Shambhu Nath Singh in May, the university community is still awaiting for a final decision from the Centre.

Tezpur University teachers' body questions silence of Edu Min after submission of probe report
Tezpur University teachers' body questions silence of Edu Min after submission of probe report

The Ministry of Education had constituted the high-level committee on December 31, 2025, and directed Singh to recuse himself from all duties and remain on leave until the enquiry's completion, TUTA said in a statement.

Subsequently, Amarendra Kumar Das was appointed Pro-Vice Chancellor by the Visitor and assumed charge on January 7, after which academic and administrative functioning gradually returned to normal following nearly four months of intense protests by students and other stakeholders.

"The enquiry was initially expected to be completed within three months. As per the information available, the committee ultimately submitted its report to the Ministry of Education in May 2026," TUTA said.

However, no final decision has so far been communicated to the university, leaving "unanswered questions" over the committee's recommendations, action taken by the competent authority and the present official status of Singh, it added.

"The TUTA has expressed serious concern over the prolonged delay and urged the Education Ministry to bring the matter to a conclusion without further delay," the teachers' body said.

Led by students, all stakeholders of Tezpur University had carried out a three-and-a-half-month-long protest since mid-September last year, accusing the VC and varsity authorities of not showing due respect to cultural icon Zubeen Garg even as the state was mourning his death.

Apart from fiscal irregularities, the varsity community also protested against alleged deforestation and ecological destruction at the picturesque campus carried out under Singh's administration.

The VC abstained from the campus after the university had witnessed heated scenes and an exchange of words between him and students on September 22, 2025, leading to a situation where Singh had to nearly flee from the spot.

TUTA, in its release, said that the issue of the committee's non-disclosure of the report gained significance after an Education Ministry communication on August 7 advised the university to continue releasing Singh's salary, stating that "final adjustment may be done later after the report and action taken thereon".

It questioned the statutory basis for payment of full salary during the prolonged period when the VC remained away from duties. It said more than seven months have passed since the committee was set up, while Singh has been away from campus since September 24, 2025.

"The leave available to a Vice-Chancellor under the applicable statutes is limited. The extended absence raises questions over whether admissible leave at his credit has already been exhausted," TUTA President Kusum K Bania said.

The association sought clarity on his present status, noting that the December 31 order required him to remain on leave "until completion of the enquiry", while the report was submitted in May.

"The report has reportedly been with the Ministry since May. Tezpur University cannot be expected to wait indefinitely without knowing the outcome or the action taken. The Ministry must bring the matter to a logical conclusion," Bania said.

TUTA said that the prolonged delay in acting on the enquiry report has created serious uncertainty and urged the competent authority to take an immediate decision on the committee's findings and recommendations in accordance with applicable rules.

It further said that the silence has fuelled apprehension that the matter may remain unresolved till completion of Singh's tenure, with growing demands for "renewed protest" seeking early decision on his removal.

The teachers' body, however, said it does not favour any disruption of the academic environment that has now returned to normalcy with cooperation of students, teachers and non-teaching staff.

Bania said TUTA sought urgent action on pending convocations for two batches, CAS promotion interviews, appointments to key statutory posts including Registrar, Finance Officer, Executive Engineer and Controller of Examinations, and completion of infrastructure.

"TUTA urged the varsity authority to pursue the matter firmly with the Ministry and seek a written decision on the enquiry report, Singh's present status and the statutory basis governing his continued leave and salary. The Ministry of Education's final decision on the enquiry report and the action taken thereon are awaited," he added.

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.