Photojournalist electrocuted while taking pictures of water train in UP
A photojournalist of an English language daily was electrocuted on Monday evening while trying to take photographs of the water train parked at a Jhansi railway station.india Updated: May 10, 2016 00:19 IST
A photojournalist of an English language daily was electrocuted on Monday evening while trying to take photographs of the water train parked at a Jhansi railway station.
As per reports, Ravi Kanojia, 34, who worked with The Indian Express, Delhi, went to the railway station along with a colleague at around 4.45pm. He climbed atop one of the 10 wagons of the train to take some photographs of the quality of water inside. As Kanojia opened the iron lid, he came in contact with a high-voltage overhead electricity line. His body, in flames at the time, was flung some distance away and he died on the spot.
Senior police officers and railway officials rushed to the site on getting information of his death.
Ashish Mishra, senior commandant, Jhansi RPF, said the incident would be investigated.
Within an hour of the incident, the train was moved to Ratlam. Railway officials, however, refused to comment on its movement.
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav expressed his condolences over the scribe’s death and announced compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the victim’s family.
First Published: May 10, 2016 00:19 IST