State withdraws Lalu’s cover
The state government withdrew the security cover extended to Railway Minister and RJD president Lalu Prasad given to him when he was the state chief minister.india Updated: Nov 04, 2007 03:00 IST
The state government withdrew the security cover extended to Railway Minister and RJD president Lalu Prasad given to him when he was the state chief minister.
An order to withdraw the security was issued by IG (Security) RK Singh on Friday.
A senior official said that six Bihar government vehicles, including a bulletproof car, that was part of Lalu’s convoy, had been withdrawn along with the 35 Special Branch personnel provided to him for his security.
During the RJD rule, a law enacted in early 2000 entitled all former chief ministers to have a Z-plus security arrangement from the state government for at least five years from the day they demitted office. Both Lalu and Rabri Devi are entitled to the security as per this law.
However, the railway minister also enjoys a Z-plus security cover provided by the elite NSG commandoes and CRPF personnel in view of the threat he faces from Naxalites and the Ranveer Sena. Security from the state government was in addition to this.
Earlier the state government had refused to provide Z-plus security to leader of the opposition Rabri Devi on the plea that it could not bear the expenses, sources said.
Commenting on the withdrawal of security, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad said that the government was empowered to withdraw the security as per the law.
“The rule says so. In fact, I enjoyed the security for more than five years. But there was always a scope for extending the security cover after reviewing my threat perception,” he said.
Lalu said the warning issued to the Bihar government during the Chetawani rally might have prompted the administration to withdraw his security.
First Published: Nov 04, 2007 02:58 IST