PM words a big pat on back for Jaipur Foot founder
Two tweets and a visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to one of its centres in the Philippines has come as a big encouragement to Jaipur based Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti (BMVSS), a philanthropist organisation that provides free prosthetic ‘Jaipur Foot’ to needy amputees.
“’I want to be a policeman’ my young friend told me...glad to see the Jaipur Foot giving wings to the aspirations of many youngsters like him,” Modi said in a tweet after visiting The Mahaveer Philippine Foundation, at Manila in the Philippines.
“Wonderful visit to the Mahaveer Philippines Foundation. Their efforts of fitting the Jaipur Foot on needy amputees have touched several lives. During my visit, saw a series of exhibits and interacted with amputees,” he said in another tweet.
Speaking to HT, the founder and the chief patron of BMVSS, D R Mehta, said, “I am very happy that Modi lauded the Jaipur Foot. The Jaipur Foot is one of the few Indian innovations that is serving the humanity.”
The Jaipur Foot is given free of cost to the amputees and so far approximately 6 lakh such prosthesis have been distributed across the world.
“The BMVSS, set up in 1985, is world’s largest organisation in limb fitment. We work on the philosophy that even the poor have self-respect and we should help them. We are work on the principle that even if anything has to be given for free, it should be of the best quality,” Mehta said.
On Monday, Modi visited the Mahaveer Philippines Foundation at Manila, where this year 757 disabled people were fitted with Jaipur Foot. Modi interacted with the beneficiaries too.
Mehta said BMVSS has partnered with different organisations in 29 countries and around 27,000 people walk with the help of the prosthetic limbs manufactured by them.
He said Harvard Business School in the US did a case study on the Jaipur Foot. So far 1.65 million disabled people across the world have been given Jaipur Foot, callipers and tricycles, he added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The total detected amount in major fake invoice cases is ₹798.88 crore.
- A prominent farmer leader said they will display tableaus of around 14 states in the tractor parade and around 2000 vehicles, including tractors, will participate in the rally on the Republic Day.
- The government claims that there's no proof either of any loss of revenue and of benefits accruing to department officials or of their involvement in any conspiracy.
- Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul had petitioned the high court last year seeking quashing of the FIR. The court had already given interim protection to both of them from arrest.
- A senior BJP leader said that attempts have been made to include almost all the major communities in the core group.
- The accused put up the warning against the corporator on his facebook page and made offers to hire contract killers, following which, police’s cyber cell traced and nabbed him
- n the missing complaint, family members expressed apprehension that the boy might have crossed to Pakistan since the family lived very close to the Indo-Pak international border and they had relatives in Pabni village in Pakistan.
- Chief minister Ashok Gehlot claimed that Rajasthan was the only state in India to be put in the green category in the detailed evaluation done by the World Health Organization due to better performance on all the parameters of vaccination.
- The IT department sleuths also found an alpha-numeric secret code on each item found in the tunnel. Attempts are on to crack the code.
- The Supreme Court had said last year in February that illegal sand mining could cause irreparable damage to the environment and is rampant in Rajasthan.
- Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot held the 'verbal exchange' between the two vaccine manufacturers as the reason behind the decline in participation in the vaccination drive
- Gajendra Singh was the son of former home minister and Congress stalwart from Rajasthan, Gulab Singh Shaktawat.
- The police investigated the case and got hold of the accused who was found to be a woman during the medical examination.